Buoyancy lab for my physics class

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the weight of water displaced when a 500-g mass is placed in a cup of water. The volume of the water displaced is known to be 59.0 ml, and the buoyant force is 0.56 N. There is a disagreement about whether the volume needs to be converted to Newtons, with one person stating that it cannot be converted as they are different units. The conversation concludes with an explanation of how to calculate the weight of the displaced water.
Skipperchrldr
I'm trying to do a lab for my physics class. It wants me to calculate the weight of the water displaced when I put a 500-g mass in a cup of water. I know the volume which is 59.0 ml. And I also know that the Buoyant force i s 0.56 N. I thought that the Buoyant force equals the volume of the water displaced but my friend told me that I have to convert the volume (59.0 ml) to Newtons. I was wondering which one of us was right and if my friend was right i was wondering how to convert ml to Newtons.

Physics news on Phys.org
You cannot convert units of volume (mL) to units of force (Newtons). They are two entirely different kinds of units.

What do you mean "I know the volume which is 59.0 ml?" Do you mean the volume of the mass is 59 mL, or the volume of the cup of 59 mL, or what?

- Warren

The volume of the water displaced by the 500-g mass is 59.0 ml

If a 59.0 ml. object (of any density greater than that of water) is dropped into water, then it displaces 59.0 ml of water (of course!).

The weight of that water is 59.0 ml * density of water in kg. per ml times 9.8 m/s2 Newtons.

Thanks SO much guys. That helped SOOOO much!

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of a buoyancy lab in a physics class?

The purpose of a buoyancy lab is to demonstrate and explore the concept of buoyancy, which is the upward force that a fluid exerts on an object immersed in it. This is an important concept in physics, as it helps us understand why objects float or sink in different fluids.

2. What materials are needed for a buoyancy lab?

For a buoyancy lab, you will need a container of water, various objects of different shapes and sizes, a balance scale, and a measuring device such as a ruler or caliper. You may also need a graduated cylinder to measure the volume of certain objects.

3. How do you calculate the buoyant force on an object?

The buoyant force on an object can be calculated using Archimedes' principle, which states that the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object. This can be calculated by multiplying the density of the fluid by the volume of the displaced fluid.

4. How does the density of an object affect its buoyancy?

The density of an object plays a crucial role in determining its buoyancy. If the density of an object is greater than the density of the fluid it is immersed in, it will sink. However, if the density of the object is less than the density of the fluid, it will float. This is because the buoyant force is greater than the weight of the object in this case.

5. What are some real-life applications of buoyancy?

Buoyancy has many real-life applications, such as in shipbuilding, where understanding buoyancy is crucial for designing ships that can float and carry heavy loads. It is also used in hot air balloons, submarines, and even in the design of life jackets and other flotation devices. Buoyancy is also important in understanding the behavior of marine animals and plants.