Finding the Mirror Shape for Focusing Light: What's the Next Step?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a mirror shape that can focus light at a specific point (x0,0). The equation for determining the shape of the mirror is given, but the speaker is unsure of what to do next. They simplify the equation and find a possible solution for f(x), but note that c cannot be determined from the given information. They also mention that writing f(x)= \pm \sqrt{...} is incorrect and suggest writing x as a function of y instead.
wormhole
i'm trying to find a mirror shape which focuses a light at some specific point [itex]x_0[/itex]
the initial equation i derived for determining the shape of the mirror is:
(assuming that light rays fall parallel to x-axis - light source is very far from the mirror)
f(x) is the shape I'm trying to determine

[tex]
x_0=-\frac{f(x)-\tan(2\arctan(\frac{df}{dx}))x}{\tan(2\arctan(\frac{df}{dx}))}
[/tex]

basicly this is an expression for a line passing through point [itex]x_0[/itex] and point on
f(x) where light reflected.
so [itex]\tan(2\arctan(\frac{df}{dx}))[/itex] is a incline of this line

from the initial equation i got to this point and I'm not sure what to do next::confused:

[tex]
\frac{f(x)}{x-x_0}=\tan(2\arctan(\frac{df}{dx}))
[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ok, i took the formula
[tex]
\tan(a+b)=\frac{\tan(a)+\tan(b)}{1-\tan(a)\tan(b)}
[/tex]

using this formula i can simplify the equation to become:

[tex]
\frac{2\frac{df}{dx}}{1-{(\frac{df}{dx})}^2}=\frac{f(x)}{x-x_0}
[/tex]

is it possible to solve it?

i get [itex] f = \pm \sqrt{ (x+c)^2 - (x-x_0)^2 } [/itex] as
a solution. (where c is an arbitrary constant, hopefully
not the same as -x0.)

qbert said:
i get [itex] f = \pm \sqrt{ (x+c)^2 - (x-x_0)^2 } [/itex] as
a solution. (where c is an arbitrary constant, hopefully
not the same as -x0.)

Well, I'm impressed with what you have done so far!
I assume you mean the light is focussed at the point (x0,0).

You might as well multiply out the terms in the square root:
[tex]f(x)= \sqrt{x^2+ 2cx+ c^2- x^2+2x_0x- x_0^2}[/tex]

You can't determine c from the information given: any parabola with focus at (x0,0) will focus light as required.
And don't write [itex]f(x)= \pm \sqrt{...}[/itex]. A function is single valued. You can, of course, write x as a function of y.

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function or set of functions to their derivatives. This means that it involves the rate of change of a function over time or space.

Why do we need to solve differential equations?

Differential equations are used to model real-world phenomena and make predictions about how they will change over time. Solving these equations allows us to understand and control these systems.

What methods are used to solve differential equations?

There are several methods for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, substitution, and using special functions. Numerical methods, such as Euler's method and Runge-Kutta methods, are also commonly used.

How do initial conditions and boundary conditions affect the solution of a differential equation?

Initial conditions are the values of the dependent variable and its derivatives at a specific point in time or space. Boundary conditions are restrictions on the behavior of the function at the boundaries of the domain. These conditions are important in determining a unique solution to a differential equation.

What are some applications of solving differential equations?

Solving differential equations is used in many fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology. It can be used to model population growth, predict weather patterns, design electrical circuits, and much more.