IC Companies Hiring Physicists: Research or Practical?

In summary, IC companies like Intel and IBM hire physicists primarily for research positions, particularly in areas such as high k programming, deposition techniques, and reliability. Many physicists can be found working on these topics at research institutes like IMEC, which has partnerships with companies such as Intel, Panasonic, Texas Instruments, Philips, and ASM. IMEC's website showcases their various activities and may be of interest to potential PhD candidates.
cscott
Generally, what do IC Companies like Intel and IBM hire physicists for? Are they just looking to fill research positions or do we see them on the practical side?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well physicists are needed for the research departments. If you look at the INTEL website, you can consult their high k programme. Many physicists are working on that (i am doing my phd on this). They are also working on deposition techniques, reliability, etc etc. The research institute where i do my phd, ie IMEC has a lot of INTEL assignees that are working on such topics. This research institute has several core partners like INTEL, panasonic, Texas instruments, Philips, ASM,...

Check out the website to see some of our activities...

marlon

Interesting site. Maybe I'll do my PhD there one day!

1. What types of companies typically hire physicists for research or practical roles?

IC (integrated circuit) companies, such as semiconductor manufacturers or design firms, often hire physicists for research and practical positions. Other industries that may hire physicists for these roles include aerospace and defense, energy, and telecommunications.

2. What skills do IC companies look for when hiring physicists?

Common skills that IC companies look for in physicists include a strong understanding of fundamental physics principles, proficiency in programming and data analysis, and experience with specialized software and hardware used in the industry. Additionally, knowledge of semiconductor physics and materials science is highly desirable.

3. What types of research do physicists in IC companies typically conduct?

Physicists in IC companies may conduct research on a variety of topics, such as developing new materials for use in semiconductor devices, improving manufacturing processes, or studying the physics behind device performance. They may also work on designing and testing new technologies for applications in the industry.

4. Do IC companies hire physicists with only a Bachelor's degree, or is a higher degree required?

While some entry-level positions may be available for physicists with a Bachelor's degree, most IC companies prefer to hire candidates with at least a Master's degree in physics or a related field. A higher degree, such as a PhD, may be required for more advanced research or leadership roles.

5. How can I increase my chances of getting hired by an IC company as a physicist?

In addition to having a strong educational background in physics, it is beneficial to gain hands-on experience through internships or research projects in relevant areas. Networking with professionals in the industry and staying updated on advancements in the field can also help make you a more competitive candidate. Additionally, having strong communication and problem-solving skills can make you stand out during the hiring process.