Grounding(Earthing)Resistance Calc.

• Thread starter dsky
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of natural logarithms in calculations for substation grounding and the recommended formulas from IEEEstd 80. The formulas include Basic Resistance, Resistance of Ground Rod Bed, Resistance of Grid, Mutual Resistance, and Final Ground Resistance. The experts also discuss the equations for single rod resistance and the coefficients k and k'. They clarify that in formula 2a, "a" should be the diameter of the ground rod, not "a." The use of grounding grid and mutual resistance for single rod is also questioned.
dsky
Dear Experts,
I'm in the mountains doing installation of a substation grounding in Thailand, after 15 years of labor suprvision on construction works and rote following of plans has really blunted my engineering/math analysis skills,forgotten most of my college elect. theories, don't have university access now so pls bear with me coz I am not planning to be a design engineer but only want to understand.
I was wondering why in most calculations does the nat.logarithm terms always appears, for example :
(1)Basic Resistance Formula : R = rho*Lenght/Area

(2)Resistance of ground rod bed R2= (rho/(2pi*N*L))*(ln(4L/a)-1+((2kL/A^0.5)*(N^0.5-1)^2

(3)Resistance of grid R1= (rho/pi*Lc)*(ln(2Lc/(b*2h)^0.5)+(k*Lc/A^0.5)-k')

(4)Mutual Resistance Rm = (rho/pi*Lc)*(ln(2Lc/L)+(k*Lc/A^0.5)-k'+1)

(5)Final ground reisitance Rg = R1*R2-Rm^2/ (R1+R2-2Rm)
whre :
rho = soil resistivity in ohm*m , linear units in meters
a = diameter of ground rod
b = diametrer of ground grid or mesh & connecting conductor
L = length of rod
Lc = total length of grid conductors
A = land area occupied by ground grid with rod
k,k' are experimental constants to be sourced from IEEE table
Lt = Lc + L
Also why is the above are different from recommended formula :
(5) Rg = (rho/4)*(pi/A)^0.5 + rho/ Lt
which is taken basically from
(6) Rg = (rho/4)*(pi/A)^0.5
Can remove the terms with "A" on formulas (2) to (4) coz the result will give me lower resistance result as compared to (5)
all formulas are taken from IEEEstd 80 except for (1), that my friend lend to me but would lessen my professional leverage if I further ask.

thanks for any expalination on this matters, laymans terms are also welcome.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The natural log often is involved because there is an integral of dr/r for which the solution is ln r, and with limits, b -> a, one would get ln b - ln a - ln b/a.

dsky said:
Dear Experts,
I'm in the mountains doing installation of a substation grounding in Thailand, after 15 years of labor suprvision on construction works and rote following of plans has really blunted my engineering/math analysis skills,forgotten most of my college elect. theories, don't have university access now so pls bear with me coz I am not planning to be a design engineer but only want to understand.
I was wondering why in most calculations does the nat.logarithm terms always appears, for example :
(1)Basic Resistance Formula : R = rho*Lenght/Area

(2)Resistance of ground rod bed R2= (rho/(2pi*N*L))*(ln(4L/a)-1+((2kL/A^0.5)*(N^0.5-1)^2

(3)Resistance of grid R1= (rho/pi*Lc)*(ln(2Lc/(b*2h)^0.5)+(k*Lc/A^0.5)-k')

(4)Mutual Resistance Rm = (rho/pi*Lc)*(ln(2Lc/L)+(k*Lc/A^0.5)-k'+1)

(5)Final ground reisitance Rg = R1*R2-Rm^2/ (R1+R2-2Rm)
whre :
rho = soil resistivity in ohm*m , linear units in meters
a = diameter of ground rod
b = diametrer of ground grid or mesh & connecting conductor
L = length of rod
Lc = total length of grid conductors
A = land area occupied by ground grid with rod
k,k' are experimental constants to be sourced from IEEE table
Lt = Lc + L
Also why is the above are different from recommended formula :
(5) Rg = (rho/4)*(pi/A)^0.5 + rho/ Lt
which is taken basically from
(6) Rg = (rho/4)*(pi/A)^0.5
Can remove the terms with "A" on formulas (2) to (4) coz the result will give me lower resistance result as compared to (5)
all formulas are taken from IEEEstd 80 except for (1), that my friend lend to me but would lessen my professional leverage if I further ask.

thanks for any expalination on this matters, laymans terms are also welcome.

Hello. i want to ask you. can you help me??
1. can you give me an equation of single rod resistance of earhing??
2. i can't find coefficient of k dan k' in IEEE. in single rod, can k dan k' neglect or avoid (equal zero)?
the data of single rod on my schoolproject:
1. there is no area (A) because just one rod.
2. N = 1 , because just one rod.

thank you for answering my question.

Rrod=ρ/2πLr .[ln(8Lr ⁄ d)– 1]

ρ: is the resistivity of the soil in Ω•m
Lr: is the length of the ground rod in m
D: is the diameter of the ground rod in m

m.s.j said:
Rrod=ρ/2πLr .[ln(8Lr ⁄ d)– 1]

ρ: is the resistivity of the soil in Ω•m
Lr: is the length of the ground rod in m
D: is the diameter of the ground rod in m

wow thank you m.s.j.
1. why can the "ln(8Lr ⁄ d)" change "ln(4Lr ⁄ d)" ?
2. can you give me the equation of "Resistance of grid R1" and "Mutual Resistance Rm" of single rod?
will be Resistance of grid R1= (rho/pi*Lc)*(ln(2Lc/(b*2h)^0.5)-k') ?
wiil be Mutual Resistance Rm = (rho/pi*Lc)*(ln(2Lc/L)-k'+1) ? is it right? may the "Rm" be negative value because of the large k' ?
i m sorry. i m very confusing. thank you again.

1-In mentioned formula "2a" is the diameter of ground rod not "a" (please refer to IEEE 80, page 66 and BS 7430)
R2= (rho/(2pi*N*L))*(ln(4L/a)-1+((2kL/A^0.5)*(N^0.5-1)^2

2- Grounding grid and mutual resistance for single rod is meaningless.

--------------------------------
Creative thinking is breezy, Then think about your surrounding things and other thought products. http://electrical-riddles.com

What is grounding (earthing) resistance calculation?

Grounding (earthing) resistance calculation is a method used to determine the level of resistance to ground in an electrical system or device. It involves measuring the resistance between the grounding electrode and the earth to ensure proper grounding and safety of the system.

Why is grounding resistance calculation important?

Grounding resistance calculation is important because it ensures that the electrical system is properly grounded, which is crucial for safety. It helps to prevent the buildup of excess voltage, protects against electrical shocks, and reduces the risk of equipment damage due to electrical faults.

How is grounding resistance calculated?

Grounding resistance is typically calculated using the fall-of-potential method, which involves measuring the voltage drop between the grounding electrode and a remote point at a specific distance. The resistance can then be calculated using Ohm's law (R = V/I).

What factors can affect grounding resistance?

The factors that can affect grounding resistance include the type and condition of the grounding electrode, the type of soil or ground where the electrode is installed, the moisture level of the soil, and the distance between the electrode and the measurement point.

What is an acceptable grounding resistance value?

The acceptable grounding resistance value varies depending on the specific electrical system and its requirements. In general, a value below 25 ohms is considered acceptable for most systems. However, it is important to consult relevant standards and guidelines for specific requirements.