Simple question, can you answer ? ?

• Thread starter dragon2309
  • Start date
In summary, the student is trying to determine the value of "g", which is the "a" in the kinematic equation they quoted. They are getting help from other physics students, and they are now able to write the paper up.
dragon2309
simple question, can you answer ...??!??!

Ok, all you physics whizzes out there, I am usually quite good at physics, and I am in the middle of something, its some crappy motion and acceleration work.

Starting with s=ut + 1/2 at^2

In this experiment I am dropping the objuect, so obviously u = 0, s = displacement, which in this case I've got a range of values for. t = time, which again i have a range of values for., this leaves me with calculating a, all seems fine, but as a sidenote, the teacher has put, "a = g", so what is g

ive never heard of a g in this kind of topic. Its not gravity, cos I am suposed to be working it out, lol, gravitational field strength is a constant at 9.81, so its not that.

and also, I am getting rusty at this, does a correspond to finish speed or end speed, or is it something completely different like acceleration?

Thanks for the help, dragon2309

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, sounds like that's exactly what your supposed to measuring.

That is, the puporse of your experiment is to determine g, which is the "a" in the kinematic eqn you quoted.

H_man

Well if you are dropping something, what do you suppose the acceleration will be due to? The teacher has put "a = g" for a reason. It sounds like your instructor wants you to experimentally calculate the acceleration, to see how close you can get to the generally accepted value that you listed.

BTW, homework questions should be posted in the homework forums here in PF. Welcome to PF!

Yes, it is, i do have to find g, but why is it called g, and what is it, is it acceleration??

Thanyou, dragon2309

*EDIT* - sorry for posting twice, i read your rules and saw that questions like this should go in the homework forum, sorry again

Oh and yes, "a" is indeed acceleration.

Whilst you are measuring it you can expect to get a range of values. Once you have averaged them u can compare them with the "accepted value of g, ie. 9.81...

H_man

Wow, that was a fast set of replies, thank you everyone for your help, i can now get on and write the paper up now, i wasnt going to do it and then find out that a was actually something wierd, thanks again!

dragon2309

1. What is the purpose of this question?

The purpose of this question is to gather information and potentially gain a better understanding of a topic or concept.

2. Why is this question considered simple?

This question is considered simple because it typically has a straightforward answer and does not require a complex explanation or background knowledge.

3. Can you provide an example of a simple question?

Yes, an example of a simple question is "What is the capital of France?"

4. Is there a specific format or structure for a simple question?

There is no specific format or structure for a simple question. It can be worded in various ways as long as it is clear and concise.

5. How can asking simple questions be beneficial in scientific research?

Asking simple questions can help scientists break down complex ideas and theories into more manageable pieces, leading to a better understanding of the subject. It can also help to identify gaps in knowledge and guide further research.