Which Anti virus software is the best ?

In summary, Norton is not the best antivirus software, and back up your computer regularly to protect yourself from viruses. P2P programs like Kazaa are not the only source for viruses. AVG is free as mentioned above.

vote one

• norton

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • mcafee

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • pccillin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AVG

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
Saint
1) Norton
2) Mcafee
3) Panda
4) Norman
5) Bullguard
6) Pccillin
7) AVG grisoft--------FREE of charge
8) you name it

Computer science news on Phys.org
I gave up on anti virus a long time ago. It is too expensive and viruses are always a step ahead of the software. I just back up my computer every once and a while and I don't download from kaza or anything like that.

Who needs antivirus protection when you got Linux.

Originally posted by DarkAnt
I gave up on anti virus a long time ago. It is too expensive and viruses are always a step ahead of the software. I just back up my computer every once and a while and I don't download from kaza or anything like that.

That's your choice of course but not very safe. AVG is free as mentioned above. Backing up your computer is in no way a protection against viruses. Any viruses that are on your system will be backed up as well. P2P programs like Kazaa are not the only source for viruses.

Certainly there are going to be new viruses that software won't be aware of, that still leaves the thousands of known viruses that can infect your system. Statistically, you are more likely to get a known virus than an unknown one.

Thanks for the info, I guess I didn't read all the options. I didn't know there was a fairly good free one. ty

There's about 2 Linux viruses I've seen so far. Bliss and Staog.

I have had the best luck with Mcafee version 7 enterprise. It is a pretty good program as long as the repositories are up. The only drawback that I can see is that it adds a few more service processes. They don't use up CPU time, but they are there. The reason that I don't like Norton is that they keep getting bought out and they keep changing suites on their AV software.

HTH

M2k

F-prot is the best one I've used to date. AVG is OK. Norton sucks. Haven't used McAfee long enough to know if it's any good. F-prot hasn't created any conflict problems for me. I *know* that Norton causes some problems while running simultaneously with other programs. And the real-time protector that comes with F-prot is great!

the best anti-virus software I have found

it keeps my computer from getting infected no matter how long it takes for companies to up date their definitions...

Linux and Mac OS X :-D...

ok, ok, I use windows XP as well, but I read my e-mail on OS X, and do most of my work in Linux and OS X, so my XP machine does not really have much of a chance on my network to get infected.

The best antivirus I own is a Powermac G4 1.25 using OS X v. 10.2.8. :)
Not a single virus for it. :)

antivirus

when talking about viruses, windows sucks
i used almost every anti virus software (no matter if it was free, share or trial) and i find that mc afee is the best.
with all mcafee (antivirus+firewall) i`ve got the best protection for my PC.
at work we don't use any antivirus. but from time to time i scan my computer on line. on line scanning it`s a solution too...

viruses

before talking about which anit virus is the best we shoult talk a lil bit about viruses and trojans.

Originally posted by DarkAnt

virus=a computer program that is able to replicate
(this is a "simple" definition of a virus)
a virus can be found in other parts of the computer (boot sectors, memory, etc) not only in your OS. if u make a back up with a virus inside u`ll do it for nothing... u will remain infected.
my advice: get an antivirus
btw: look out for trojans too... (special kind of viruses and the most used for hacking)

1. What factors should I consider when choosing an antivirus software?

When choosing an antivirus software, you should consider its effectiveness in detecting and removing malware, its user-friendliness and ease of use, its impact on system performance, its compatibility with your operating system, and its cost.

2. Is it necessary to pay for an antivirus software or are there good free options available?

While there are some good free antivirus options available, paid antivirus software often offers more comprehensive protection and advanced features. It ultimately depends on your specific needs and budget.

3. Are there any specific brands or companies that are known for providing the best antivirus software?

There are many reputable antivirus companies that offer high-quality software, such as Norton, McAfee, Kaspersky, and Bitdefender. It is important to research and compare different options to find the best fit for your needs.

4. How often should I update my antivirus software?

It is recommended to update your antivirus software at least once a week, as new viruses and malware are constantly being developed. You can also set your software to automatically update to ensure you have the latest protection.

5. Can I have more than one antivirus software installed on my computer?

It is not recommended to have multiple antivirus software installed on your computer as they can conflict with each other and cause system issues. It is best to choose one reliable antivirus software and regularly update it for maximum protection.