Solving a Carnot Engine Problem: What Unit Do I Use?

• Thread starter sophzilla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Units
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of increasing the efficiency of a Carnot engine with a low-temperature reservoir at 16°C from 31% to 70%. After trying various units such as Kelvin and Celsius, the numerical answer of 544.8 is determined. However, it is noted that the correct unit for thermodynamics is Kelvin and the temperature difference is also equivalent to 544.5 degrees Celsius.
sophzilla
I solved the problem, but I can't get the right unit for the answer.

A Carnot engine whose low-temperature reservoir is at 16°C has an efficiency of 31%. By how much should the temperature of the high-temperature reservoir be increased to increase the efficiency to 70%?

My numerical answer is 544.8. I tried Kelvin first - the most obvious choice - but that was wrong. Then I tried celcius and J/K.

I tried to work it out but I have no earthly idea - the other choices include:
- C0 (like the celcius sign but the circle is after the C)
-J/kg*K
-J/mol*K and
-kJ/kg

Any help would be grately appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
sophzilla said:
My numerical answer is 544.8. I tried Kelvin first - the most obvious choice - but that was wrong. Then I tried celcius and J/K.

I tried to work it out but I have no earthly idea - the other choices include:
- C0 (like the celcius sign but the circle is after the C)
-J/kg*K
-J/mol*K and
-kJ/kg

Any help would be grately appreciated.
You have to use Kelvin for temperature in thermodynamics. I get 544.5 K as the increase (from 418.8 K to 963.33 K)

AM

Well...the thing is, I did use Kelvin. That was my first choice, but it was wrong. Any other sound possibilities?

sophzilla said:
Well...the thing is, I did use Kelvin. That was my first choice, but it was wrong. Any other sound possibilities?
Mind you, this temperature difference is also 544.5 degrees Celsius. It is just that you have to work out the thermodynamics part in K and then convert back to Celsius.

AM

1. What is a Carnot engine?

A Carnot engine is a theoretical heat engine that operates on the Carnot cycle, which is a reversible thermodynamic cycle. It serves as a model for understanding the maximum efficiency that any heat engine can achieve, and it is often used as a benchmark for real-world engines.

2. How is a Carnot engine problem solved?

A Carnot engine problem can be solved by using the Carnot cycle formula, which is efficiency = (T1 - T2) / T1, where T1 is the temperature of the hot reservoir and T2 is the temperature of the cold reservoir. This formula can be used to calculate the maximum theoretical efficiency of a Carnot engine.

3. What unit should I use when solving a Carnot engine problem?

The unit used when solving a Carnot engine problem is Kelvin (K) for temperature. This is because temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of molecules, and Kelvin is the unit of measurement for thermodynamic temperature.

4. Can a Carnot engine have an efficiency of 100%?

No, a Carnot engine cannot have an efficiency of 100%. This is because the Carnot cycle is a theoretical model and does not take into account any real-world factors such as friction and energy losses. The maximum theoretical efficiency of a Carnot engine is given by the Carnot cycle formula, but in reality, no engine can achieve this efficiency.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Carnot engine?

The Carnot engine is a theoretical model and is not used in practical applications. However, the principles of the Carnot cycle are used in the design and optimization of real-world heat engines, such as steam engines and gas turbines. It also serves as a benchmark for evaluating the performance of these engines.