What is the average salary for a software engineer?

• Thread starter Equilibrium
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Salary
In summary: Median annual earnings of computer applications software engineers who worked full time in May 2004 were about $74,980. The middle 50 percent earned between $59,130and $92,130. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $46,520, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $113,830.
Equilibrium
hi I am taking a course called Computer Engineer...
and i was wondering what could be the salary
of a Software Engineer...?
Just curious... and i love computers

Technology news on Phys.org
"Median annual earnings of computer applications software engineers who worked full time in May 2004 were about $74,980. The middle 50 percent earned between $59,130and $92,130. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $46,520, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $113,830."

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos267.htm

Of course this is in the US, you didn't state a particular country.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is exatly the same course i am doing. My first year includes just the basics of electronics while the next three years are totally into computer hardware/software engineering...whoo hooo:smile:

I've applied for some jobs in Software Develpment that paid more than $100,000. Obviously i didn't get any of those because i graduated two months ago (had to try though :) ) but i managed to get a nice paying job as a junior developer in a fairly large company. As your experience grows you can be making a lot of money. Demand is also very high. There were so many jobs available and i got so many calls from recruiting companies that it was hard to focus on one. So you can definitely make a living as a Software Developer. It's also exciting work, in my opinion, but I'm biased.

Evo said:
"Median annual earnings of computer applications software engineers who worked full time in May 2004 were about $74,980. The middle 50 percent earned between $59,130and $92,130. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $46,520, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $113,830."

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos267.htm

Of course this is in the US, you didn't state a particular country.

I have a real love/hate relationship with the BLS. It's such a great resource and fascinated me for the longest time before I got back into school, teaching me the earning potential of just about every possibly career for a college graduate. It's really the devil, though, almost steering me away from what I wanted to study in favor of becoming a spinal surgeon thanks to the fact that their median salary was somewhere around $700K a year, and those in the LA area where I lived were making even more than that.

Last edited by a moderator:
My sister-in-law's dad is a senior software engineer at Raytheon and has been working there for 15 years and he makes about $220,000 per year. sure, he did go to Rensselaer majoring in Math and he did work as a researcher at MIT for 10 years before, but still, you can make loads of cash in software engineering!

How much is the Salary of a Scientist?

The salary of a scientist can vary greatly depending on their field of study, experience, and location. On average, a scientist can expect to make between $70,000 to $120,000 per year.

What factors affect the Salary of a Scientist?

As mentioned, the salary of a scientist can depend on multiple factors such as their field of study, experience, and location. Other factors that may affect their salary include the industry they work in, the level of education they have, and their job responsibilities.

Can a Scientist make a six-figure Salary?

Yes, it is possible for a scientist to make a six-figure salary. With advanced degrees and years of experience, scientists can earn over $100,000 per year. Industries such as pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, and engineering tend to offer higher salaries for scientists.

Do Scientists make more than other professions?

As with any profession, the salary of a scientist can vary greatly. While some scientists may make more than other professions, there are also professions that may offer higher salaries. It ultimately depends on the individual's qualifications, experience, and the industry they work in.

Can a Scientist negotiate their Salary?

Yes, scientists can negotiate their salary, especially if they have advanced degrees and valuable skills. It is important to do research and have a clear understanding of the industry standards and the value of your qualifications before entering negotiations.