Is there a benefit to looking like a body builder?

• Thread starter heman
  • Start date
In summary: I don't like him.He's got a major ego...I don't like him.And I don't think he's very attractive either.And I don't think he's very attractive either.
:biggrin:
Lisa! said:
Ok Ok now I got it why you didn't tell us the truth about your gender. So please stop posting those pics... :tongue2:

he he...thats so interesting..:rofl: :rofl:

i don't know what to say to you ...you know why??

because i posted my pic in pics thread and you saw it and even passed some comment...so aren't you sure about what your eyes see??:biggrin: :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
I wonder if these body builders who keep going for bigger and bigger, no matter how many drugs they need to pump into their bodies to accomplish it, and no matter how bloated and misshapen they look to the rest of us, have a form of body dysmorphic disorder similar to anorexics or bulemics. Different endpoints, but similar dissatisfaction with their bodies...something is always too big, too small, not quite to their liking. What's really the difference between looking at your body and thinking you need more laxatives or looking at your body and thinking you need more steroids or growth hormone?

heman said:
:biggrin:

he he...thats so interesting..:rofl: :rofl:

i don't know what to say to you ...you know why??

because i posted my pic in pics thread and you saw it and even passed some comment...so aren't you sure about what your eyes see??:biggrin: :biggrin:
But that was only your face!:wink:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

if you want some other body part pics i can send you privately!

heman said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

if you want some other body part pics i can send you privately!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

No thanks! I guess males around here would be happier to have them.:tongue2:

Beeza said:
Cyrusabdollahi, this man ran 350 miles nonstop.

http://runtrails.blogspot.com/2005/10/karnazes-completes-350-mile-run.html

Do you consider him a freak too because he pushed himself past what most humans are typically capable of?

As a side note, no pro bodybuilder comes close to Ronnie Coleman's size or strength. Jay Cutler is a bit more aesthetic, which is why some people prefer his look over Coleman's.

What does running have to do with looking like a freak??

cyrusabdollahi said:
What does running have to do with looking like a freak??

Nothing really, I just thought I'd ask what you thought of someone else in a different hobby that pushes himself to the extreme. I don't look at the bodybuilders as freaks, but people that push themselves to the extreme.

Moonbear said:
I wonder if these body builders who keep going for bigger and bigger, no matter how many drugs they need to pump into their bodies to accomplish it, and no matter how bloated and misshapen they look to the rest of us, have a form of body dysmorphic disorder similar to anorexics or bulemics. Different endpoints, but similar dissatisfaction with their bodies...something is always too big, too small, not quite to their liking. What's really the difference between looking at your body and thinking you need more laxatives or looking at your body and thinking you need more steroids or growth hormone?

I believe psychologists dubbed it "reverse anorexia" or something like that. I'll admit that I might have it mildly, but never to the point of risking my health with drugs like those guys do.

Moonbear said:

Have you heard of Muscular Dysmorphia that was mentioned earlier? aka "Bigorexia"? It's pretty similar to the usual anorexia from what I know.

I wonder how common it is amongst professional bodybuilders. They do subject themselves to side-by-side comparisons often enough that when they say "I'm not big enough" they have less subjective critera than your typical person, ie. person A placed higher than me and was larger than me, I need to get larger to compete with them as this is what the judges are looking for. I'm not sure that kind of reasoning will qualify for a disorder. I wouldn't at all doubt that some (or even most) have problems like this though, but there are probably perfectly healthy ones as well.

There are some really stupid bodybuilders that have some serious ego issues around. Nobody can absolutely deny this because I doubt they have met every single bodybuilder in the world. But I agree with Beeza...the majority are really cool and will pass friendly advice to anyone that wants it.

Oh and for those of you who truly want to see a complete idiot with no clue on bodybuilding check this guy out:

http://greggvalentino.net/images/pictures/posefront.jpg
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/gregvalentinobig.jpg

This guy admits to being a complete twat though. I'm talking about his view on the way he behaved not his view on his arms (he obviously wouldn't criticize this because it is what he set out to do).

Say what you will about Arnold Schwarzenegger (freak or not) he had the perfectly sculpted body and it didn't look ridiculous. Franco Columbo was also a well-proportioned and non-freakish looking bodybuilder. The new age of bodybuilders are beyond huge and as a result the bodies look worse.

Technically bodybuilders can get sort of close to that muscle mass naturally, but not only would it cost way too much, but I think they'd want to shoot themselves if they had to do it naturally. Imagine the amount you'd have to eat a day. You'd have little time for fitting in your workout routine and you'd just feel like ****. That food would just cost way too much...especially for an aspiring bodybuilder. That, on top of the fact that it would take much longer to put on lean muscle mass is the reason why people resort to steroids. Also by taking steroids and creatine you can push your body through a lot more than you could normally (stating the obvious). In fact you can fit in two intense workout sessions in one day.

I'd love to see Dorian Yates or Jay Cutler running on the treadmill though :).

Last edited by a moderator:
Greg Valentino is a complete idiot. His arms are mostly synthol-- an injectible oil that will appear to make your muscles bigger. His arms got infected awhile ago and "exploded". Hes lucky his liver didnt explode as the liver eventually has to process all that nasty synthol too.

They had a whole special about bodybuilding and this guy was in it. He was doing tons of steroids. Left his wife and hooked up with some coke head prostitute. He was dealing steroids big time and got arrested and put in jail. He would reuse his needles and drop them on the floor and just wipe them off. He got a big infection and poured out 2 jars of blood. He even video taped it and shows it to his buddies in the gym. He had to go to the hospital and almost lost his arm. The guy is just the epitome of STUPID.

An interview with Valentino:

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=211hate

There's a picture of him at 20 'pre-drugs' that's believable, and one of him with very huge arms that's supposedly pre-drug also which is less believable, but still possible I suppose. It's not hard to imagine that he would need to naturally have big arms in order to make this freakishness possible with drugs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Too bad, he looked really good back in the day...

211greg-young.jpg

Doesnt even look like the same person anymore. Even his face is bloated.

Physics_wiz said:
what the heck. I thought girls/women like big muscles.
:bugeye: :yuck:

Ah that doesn't look beautiful at all. And you know no other man dares to look at you if you'd have such a guy with you.:uhh:

Lisa! said:
:bugeye: :yuck:

Ah that doesn't look beautiful at all. And you know no other man dares to look at you if you'd have such a guy with you.:uhh:

they won't look at you but they will think about you...so in a way you will be centre of attention..:biggrin:

big man said:
Also by taking steroids and creatine you can push your body through a lot more...

Creatine?

Come on guys. Creatine doesn't even touch the hormones. It does so little if anything at all. I wouldn't call that a muscle enhancement whatsoever.

No creatine isn't a muscle enhancement at all. It's a supplement that helps you to recover a lot quicker because it provides necessary energy to the muscles. I just said that if you used it in conjunction with steroids it is very effective.

Creatine does make a ****load of difference (unless you were still referring to its affect on hormones).

Creatine is a combination of 3 amino acids that increaes your ATP stores, which in turn will allow people to train harder and longer. It will also hydrate your muscle cells, which also increases protein synthesis.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Too bad, he looked really good back in the day...

211greg-young.jpg

Doesnt even look like the same person anymore. Even his face is bloated.
I agree. While I still don't find that look attractive (I'd like to see a little fat softening the rough edges, but that's just my taste), in that photo, he looks proportional and, well, human. When body builders looked like that, I could at least understand why people would choose to go for that look and why some would be attracted to it. In his more recent photos, he looks just plain grotesque. There's no overall plan, no attention to accentuating natural appearance, but distorting and bloating one's shape to something completely unnatural.

I also cannot get past the idea that someone who is spending as much time as they must to get their body to look like that must be completely obsessed or self-absorbed. I prefer a more natural muscular look, the kind you get from doing hard, manual labor.