Forces, blocks, cords, and springs

In summary, In order to equilibrium two blocks, Wb = kW and Wa = Wc = W. Block b has 4x the mass of block c, so theta = fi/4.
mybsaccownt
sorry, couldn't think of a better title

anyways, I'm somewhat stuck on 2 questions i have in my homework assignmentfirst one:Three blocks are supported using the cords and two pulleys. If they have weights of WA = WC= W, WB= kW, determine the angle (theta) for equilibrium.

Given:

k = 0.25

http://www.mydatabus.com/2z/lnubb.pn/mybsaccownt/blocksandcords.bmpalright, for the first one, i thought it would be easy and i thought i had a good plan

Wa = Wc = W Wb = kW and k = 0.25

i want equilibrium so, sum of the forces in x = 0, sum of forces in y = 0

so then i break everything into components to add the x and y forces respectively

in the y the two forces going up should equal the force going down

Wsin(fi) + 0.25Wsin(theta) = - W

W cancels and i end up with

sin(fi) + 0.25sin(theta) = -1

here is where my math skills fail me, instead of trying to write theta or fi in terms of the other one (i get some ugly things), i see what i can do with the other partforces in the x, only two of them, so:

Wcos(fi) = -0.25Wcos(theta)

once again, the W cancels, and i dared to solve for one angle in terms of the other

cos(fi) = -0.25cos(theta)

fi = arccos(-0.25)*theta

fi = 104*theta

theta = fi/104 <---theta will be really really tiny, that's ok, because block b has to fight block c in the x direction and block c has 4 times the mass

anyways, this is where i pretty much got stuck,

have i done something screwy, or is it just a lack of trig knowledge?

andDetermine the mass of each of the two cylinders if they cause a sag of distance d when suspended from the rings at A and B. Note that s=0 when the cylinders are removed.Given:

d = 0.5m
l1 = 1.5m
l2 = 2m
l3 = 1m
k = 100N/m
g = 9.81m/s^2http://www.mydatabus.com/2z/lnubb.pn/mybsaccownt/springsandmass.bmpfor the 2nd problem

i got stuck pretty early on

i started drawing a FBD at point A, i had t1, t2, and m1

then i started second-guessing my strategy and came to the conclusion that i had no real idea what i was going to do with that

i trigged out some angles, wrote some equations of equilibrium, but...when i saw 5 unknowns, i backed down and decided i'd check if i am on the right path before taking on that beastly chore

i'll just briefly outline where i was headed

Fxa = t1cos48.59 - t2
Fya = t1sin48.59 -m1g

Fxb = t3cos48.59 - t2
Fyb = t3sin48.59 - m2g

i must admit, t2 confuses me in the FBD, i need to have it opposing t3 and t1, which means it opposes itself, hmm

i also tried something like

m1 + m2 = 2kd/g and i get the combined mass of m1 and m2 is 10.2 kg, but surely, it can't be that simplealright...that's where i am :)

any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello mybsaccownt,

be careful whenever you try to compare forces. As vectors they have both: magnitude and direction. Your approach to look at the components of the acting forces is promising. By comparing the magnitudes, the 2 equations you'll get in your first problem will be:

[tex]\sin{\phi}+\frac{1}{4}\sin{\theta}=1 \,\,\,(1)\\[/tex] and
[tex]\cos{\phi}=\frac{1}{4}\cos{\theta} \,\,\,(2)[/tex]

The following step in your attempt was wrong:

mybsaccownt said:
cos(fi) = -0.25cos(theta)

fi = arccos(-0.25)*theta

[tex]\arccos(x*y)\neq\arccos(x)*\arccos(y)[/tex]

To solve the problem I'd use the following equation:

[tex]\sin^2{x}+\cos^2{x}=1 \,\,\,(3)[/tex]

Starting with rearranging and squaring (1):

[tex]\sin^2{\phi}=(1-\frac{1}{4}\sin{\theta})^2 \,\,\,(1')[/tex]

squaring (2) and using (3) to get:

[tex]1-\sin^2{\phi}=\frac{1}{16}\cos^2{\theta} \,\,\,(2')[/tex]

Using (1') in (2'),...

Regards,

nazzard

Last edited:
For the first one:

Using Newton's second law in component form we have that

[tex]\Sigma F_Y = 0[/tex]

so that your equation:

Wsin(fi) + 0.25Wsin(theta) = - W

Should actually be

Wsin(fi) + 0.25Wsin(theta) - W = 0

But I would rather use the fact that the forces form a closed triangle. Two of the legs are the same length and one is a quarter of the length of the other. So one get an isosceles triangle with the two legs of length 1 and the base of length a quarter. You just need to figure out where the angles should go in such a triangle.

thanks a lot nazzard! :-)

i got it, theta = arcsin(1/8)

my trig skills need some work, hehe
andrevdh, blocks b and c will lift block a

that's why their vertical components will be equal to a, but opposite in direction, in order to achieve equilibrium

so, equal but opposite, hence vertical components of b, c = -Wa

and Wa is just W

so

sum of vertical components of b and c = - Walso, I'm not sure i understand what you mean by the forces forming a closed triangle

i'm just breaking the forces into components and applying the equations of equilibrium, it's a good method and it's simple, I'm not saying your method wouldn't work, but it seems like i should just stick to what i know

i think the only trouble i had was with my trig skills (i didn't remember the identity that was needed to solve for theta)

the TA mentioned it today in tutorial, but i still would have been stuck for a while without some helpi appreciate your input, thanks for the help, guys

Last edited:
Yes their magnitudes need to be the same in order to cancel. In Newton's equation direction is taken into account. That is from

[tex]\Sigma F_y = 0[/tex]

which is the same condition as your remark that the forces in the y-direction need to balance - their sum need to be zero. So from this we have that

[tex]W_{BY} + W_{CY} - W_{AY} = 0[/tex]

this is the scalar component form of N2 = 0 (taking up as positive). Which then comes to

[tex]W_{BY} + W_{CY} = W_{AY}[/tex]

oh...I see what you mean

alright, thanks i got it

1. What is a force?

A force is any interaction that causes an object to undergo a change in motion or shape.

2. How do forces affect blocks?

Forces can cause blocks to move, accelerate, or deform depending on the direction and magnitude of the force applied.

3. What are cords and how do they relate to forces?

Cords are flexible strings or ropes that can transmit forces between objects. They can be used to pull or lift objects by applying a force at one end of the cord.

4. What is Hooke's law and how does it relate to springs?

Hooke's law is a principle that states the force required to extend or compress a spring is directly proportional to the distance the spring is stretched or compressed. This means that the more a spring is stretched, the more force it will exert.

5. How do forces, blocks, cords, and springs relate to each other?

Forces can act on blocks to move or deform them, and cords and springs can transmit forces between objects. Springs can also be used as a method for measuring forces by observing how much they stretch or compress under a force.