Can I recover my deleted photos from a formatted memory card?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of recovering lost photos on an HP camera using a SAN disk memory card. The individual accidentally reformatted the card, resulting in the loss of some photos. It is suggested that programs exist that can search for missing fragments on the disk, but it is uncertain if this applies to a memory card. It is emphasized that new images should not be copied onto the card to avoid overwriting the previous data. Two potential programs that may aid in data recovery are mentioned, but their effectiveness in recovering formatted data is uncertain.
sean1234
I lost some photos on my HP camera using a SAN disk memory card. I think I reformatted the card accidentally, but the result, anyway is some of my photos are gone. Is it possible to get them back?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Usually with disks, the content of the file remains but the entry in the index is removed. Programs exist that can scour the surface and look for missing fragments. I don't know if that applies to a memory card though but you can always try. Obviously it is vitally important that you haven't copied any new images to the card because that will overwrite what was there before.

I don't know which programs to use but perhaps http://users.erols.com/gmgarner/forensics/ would work.

Last edited by a moderator:
This product worked for me in recovering deleted data from a camera flash disk, but I don't remember if the disk had been formatted or the data just deleted. http://www.softwareshelf.com/files/products.asp?ID=11

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Can I recover photos that were deleted from my computer's recycle bin?

Yes, it is possible to recover photos that were deleted from the recycle bin. When a file is deleted, it is not immediately removed from the hard drive. Instead, the space it occupied is marked as available for new data. As long as the space has not been overwritten, the deleted photos can be retrieved using data recovery software.

2. How can I recover photos from a camera or phone that were accidentally deleted?

If the photos were stored on a memory card, it is possible to recover them using data recovery software. You can remove the memory card from the camera or phone and use a card reader to connect it to a computer. The data recovery software can then scan the memory card and retrieve the deleted photos.

3. Is it possible to recover photos that were deleted a long time ago?

It depends on how much the hard drive has been used since the photos were deleted. If the space where the photos were stored has been overwritten with new data, it may not be possible to recover them. However, if the space has not been reused, the photos may still be recoverable using data recovery software.

4. Can I recover photos that were deleted due to a virus or malware?

Yes, it is possible to recover photos that were deleted by a virus or malware. As long as the space where the photos were stored has not been overwritten, data recovery software can retrieve them. However, it is important to remove the virus or malware from your computer before attempting to recover the photos to prevent them from being deleted again.

5. Are there any free methods for recovering deleted photos?

Yes, there are some free data recovery software programs available that can help you recover deleted photos. However, these programs may not be as effective as paid software and may have limited features. It is recommended to research and compare different data recovery software options before choosing one that best suits your needs.