Reporting Private Message Spam and Other Issues: A Reminder for Members

• Thread starter Moonbear
  • Start date
In summary, the mentors discussed that if someone sends spam in this way, since we don't snoop into other people's PMs, the mentors usually would have no way to know this without being told. There is also no "report" bad post button on PMs, so in case there is any confusion on this, members are always encouraged to notify a mentor if they should receive something problematic by PM (forwarding a copy of the offending message is helpful for us to determine the action that needs to be taken), especially if you receive spam. The mentors also mentioned that this would apply to any other problematic issues in PMs (someone insulting or harrassing you, for example).
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
One of the mentors received spam by private message today. This raised the issue that if someone sends spam in this way, since we don't snoop into other people's PMs, the mentors usually would have no way to know this without being told. There is also no "report" bad post button on PMs, so in case there is any confusion on this, members are always encouraged to notify a mentor if they should receive something problematic by PM (forwarding a copy of the offending message is helpful for us to determine the action that needs to be taken), especially if you receive spam. We make every attempt to keep this site free of spammers, so will ban them immediately if you let us know they've found a sneaky way around our quick detection.

Also, this would apply to any other problematic issues in PMs (someone insulting or harrassing you, for example).

Since today we had a case where only one mentor somehow made it to the spammer's PM list, it's possible (likely) others have been spammed by PM and we never knew it happened because it was just deleted and ignored. Please, inform us if this happens.

Physics news on Phys.org
I received a spam PM yesterday; I presume it was from the same person as they've subsequently been banned. I wasn't really too sure what to do about it. I had a look on the staff list and saw that no mentors were online at that time and then guess I must have forgotten about it. In future if this happens and there are no mentors online what should I do-- forward it to a mentor at random?

cristo said:
I received a spam PM yesterday; I presume it was from the same person as they've subsequently been banned. I wasn't really too sure what to do about it. I had a look on the staff list and saw that no mentors were online at that time and then guess I must have forgotten about it. In future if this happens and there are no mentors online what should I do-- forward it to a mentor at random?
Yes, you can send it to a mentor that you see active a lot.

I just delete it. Not that I've received much spam on PF. The filters appear to be effective. I don't have difficulty spotting the stuff and would regret missing an honest message due to overly aggressive filtering.

What is the purpose of reporting private messages?

Reporting private messages allows users to report any inappropriate, abusive, or harmful content that they may have received in a private message. This helps maintain a safe and respectful online community.

How do I report a private message?

To report a private message, click on the message and select the "report" option. This will prompt you to fill out a form detailing the issue with the message. The report will then be sent to the platform's moderation team for further review.

What happens after I report a private message?

After a private message is reported, the moderation team will review the message and determine if it violates the platform's community guidelines. If the message is found to be in violation, appropriate action will be taken, such as removing the message or suspending the sender's account.

Can I report a private message from a user I have blocked?

Yes, you can still report a private message from a user you have blocked. The message will be automatically deleted from your inbox, but you can still access it to report it. Blocking a user does not prevent you from reporting their messages.

Will the sender be notified if I report their private message?

No, the sender will not be notified if you report their private message. The report will be kept confidential and the sender's identity will not be revealed. However, if the moderation team takes action on the reported message, the sender may be notified of the consequences.