How do I use heat to create cooling?

In summary, the conversation discusses using heat to create cooling and the names of processes involved, such as absorption chiller and direct turbine. The idea is to use the heat from one place to cool something in another place. The conversation also mentions the use of a device, such as a refrigerator, but without knowing the specific process or its name. The concept of heat as kinetic energy and the potential use of a turbine to power a compressor in a refrigerator are also mentioned.
@nders
Hi.

I'm looking for a easy way of using heat to create cooling. I am trying to make a device that will use the heat from one place, to cool something in another place down. Maybe this is more for the engineer forum, but what I need to know first of all is the names of the processes. For the cooling part is was thinking of using something like that, that is in a refrigerator. But first of all I don't know what it's, and I don't know how it works, since I don't know what to search after without a name for that process.
The refrigerator part obvious gets its power from the heat, but I don't know what device to use, to transform heat to power.

Cheers Anders

Science news on Phys.org
Heat is the motion of energy from one area to another area; what you want to do is setup some sort of gradient such that you can get the source (kinetic energy) and turn it into some destination, just like http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive/2006/06/diy_1000_watt_wind_turbine.html [Broken] work. The more heat you have, the more gas-like or plasma-like your substance becomes, and plasmas are basically known to be moving so quickly that atoms are ripped into ions, etc.

- Bryan

Last edited by a moderator:
A simple system http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absorption_refrigerator
If you have a lot of heat or it is a greater distance away it might be better to use the heat source to directly drive a turbine and then use that to power a compressor in a conventional refrigerator.

1. How does heat create cooling?

Heat creates cooling through a process called refrigeration. This involves compressing a gas, such as refrigerant, which causes it to release heat and become a liquid. The liquid is then pumped through a system of tubes and coils, where it absorbs heat from the surrounding air or water. This causes the liquid to evaporate back into a gas, which cools down the surrounding environment.

2. What types of heat sources can be used to create cooling?

There are various types of heat sources that can be used to create cooling, such as electricity, natural gas, propane, or solar power. However, the most commonly used heat source for refrigeration is electricity.

3. How do I control the amount of cooling produced by heat?

The amount of cooling produced by heat can be controlled by adjusting the temperature and pressure of the refrigerant gas in the system. This can be done through a thermostat or other control mechanism.

4. Can heat be used to create cooling in any environment?

Yes, heat can be used to create cooling in any environment, as long as there is a source of heat and a way to transfer the heat to the surrounding environment. Refrigeration systems can be designed to work in a variety of temperatures and climates.

5. Are there any environmental concerns related to using heat to create cooling?

While refrigeration systems do emit some greenhouse gases, there are now more environmentally-friendly options available, such as using natural refrigerants or improving energy efficiency. It is important to properly maintain and dispose of refrigerants to minimize their impact on the environment.