C vs. Fiber Optics: Speed Comparison and Myths Debunked

So that's about 6mm of extra distance.In summary, light would travel faster through a straight fiber optic than it would in a bent one due to total internal reflection. However, transmission through any medium, including a fiber optic cable, will result in some absorption loss. The speed of light in a medium is determined by its refractive index, which can change due to scattering and interference. This can result in a phase velocity that is slightly below or above the speed of light in vacuum, but the speed of information transmission is still limited to the speed of light.
Glenn
Is C less than 300,000 kph when traveling through fiber optic cable?

Would a pulse of light travel any faster through a straight fiber optic than through a tightly coiled fiber of the same length?

Thanks,
Glenn

Physics news on Phys.org
c is constant throughout the universe. The speed of light does change, depending on the medium through which the light travels. The general formula is:
[tex]V = \frac{c}{n}[/tex]
That is, the speed of light through any medium is the speed of light in vacuum (c) divided by the refraction index of the medium (n).

Yes, light would travel faster through a straight fiber optic than it would in a bent one. If the fiber is bent, light will refract as it hits the sides of the fiber, therefore it will take more time to travel the same horizontal distance:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=813
The red line represents a ray of light that does not refract, whereas the blue line is a ray of light that does refract off the sides of the fiber.

(Nice avatar, by the way.)

c, the velocity of light in vacuum, is a constant of nature. So it does not depend on the medium you are looking at. What you probably mean is: does light move with a speed lower than c in a fiber optic cable?

The answer is a bit ambiguous: although the photons making up the ligh rays still (always!) move with c, the so called phase velocity of light in a different medium than vacuum can differ from c.

This is because of the repetative process of scattering with he atoms making up the material, which introduces a phase shift in the scattered light. When this scattered light recombines with the transmitted light it interferes and shifts the phase of the combined wave. This happens continuously, and because the speed of the wave is the rate of advance of the condition of constant phase, a change in the phase should correspond to a change in the speed. For a fiber optic cable this speed is slightly below c.

The proces described above can in some circumstances even yield a phase speed higher than c. This does not contradict special relativity because the speed at which information is transported depends on the speed of the photons, which is still c.

Thanks for the help!

-Glenn

Chen said:
Yes, light would travel faster through a straight fiber optic than it would in a bent one. If the fiber is bent, light will refract as it hits the sides of the fiber, therefore it will take more time to travel the same horizontal distance.
Fiber optics works on total internal reflection - so it shouldn't matter if the cable is coiled.

russ_watters said:
Fiber optics works on total internal reflection - so it shouldn't matter if the cable is coiled.
Yes, and? Do you not agree with what I said?

I am with Russ on this one. I do not think propagation time in a fiber optic depends on the bends in the cable. Most fiber optics have a minimum allowed radius of curvature, you cannot coil them into an arbitrarily small radius and maintain the signal. It would not surprise me if the coiled fiber had higher losses then the straight one, but I do not think it would change the propagation time,Signifinatly... (gotta throw that qualifier in there!)

Well now, there's a large difference between changing the time and changing it "significantly". I still believe the propagation time would change. In a straight fiber, light is free to take the shortest possible path - a straight line, which would have the same length as the length of the fiber. However, with a bent fiber of the same length, this is not possible. For the light to go through the fiber while traversing a distance of L, it would have to go directly through the center (of the cross section) of the fiber, and do so throughout the whole journey. Obviously this cannot happen, as the light is bound to hit the boundaries of the fiber and reflect. By doing so it is no longer going through the center and the distance it has to pass grows. I think the difference in the propagation times would depend on the radius of the fiber, among other factors. The thinner the fiber, the less noticeable the difference would be.

(I agree, by the way, that the difference would not be that significant, but I still believe there is a difference, small as it may be.)

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that you don't measure the speed of a light pulse based on the very first photon that you register at the end. Since the aggregate pulse travels down the fiber by total internal reflection, then the aggregate will always be slower than the front runner. In a bent fiber, the bending actually decreases the pulse spead. I wish I still worked in a fiber lab. Does anyone have access to some equipment and a good length of fiber and is willing to try the experiment?

If you introduce loss, you are changing the imaginary part of the effective index, and usually, this means you are changing the real part as well. However, I believe it depends on several factors whether the real part will increase or decrease. It is possible that the speed will increase.

Njorl

russ_watters said:

Then why would long distance cables require repeaters/amplifiers for attenuation?

Nacho said:
Then why would long distance cables require repeaters/amplifiers for attenuation?
Total internal reflection means no absorption loss during the reflection - but has nothing to do with absorption loss during transmission. Any medium will absorb a little while transmitting - no medium is perfectly transparent.

Chen, its a minor quibble: the light does go more or less straight down the cable, but obviously no cable is going to be perfectly straight, so there will be a lot of bouncing off the walls, especially since the cable is pretty thin. Yeah, the word "significant" is vague, so how about this: the diameter of the cable is so thin compared to the minimum radius at which you can bend the cable that any change in transmission time will be negligible.

HERE is a good explanation of both the total internal reflection and the absorption loss in fiber optics.

Last edited:
Negligible it is then. Extant, but negligible. :smile:

Chen said:
Well now, there's a large difference between changing the time and changing it "significantly". I still believe the propagation time would change. In a straight fiber, light is free to take the shortest possible path - a straight line, which would have the same length as the length of the fiber. However, with a bent fiber of the same length, this is not possible. For the light to go through the fiber while traversing a distance of L, it would have to go directly through the center (of the cross section) of the fiber, and do so throughout the whole journey. Obviously this cannot happen, as the light is bound to hit the boundaries of the fiber and reflect. By doing so it is no longer going through the center and the distance it has to pass grows. I think the difference in the propagation times would depend on the radius of the fiber, among other factors. The thinner the fiber, the less noticeable the difference would be.

But because the fiber already depends on total internal reflection, the path length is greater than the linear distance of the cable - the light doesn't go straight through.

swansont said:
But because the fiber already depends on total internal reflection, the path length is greater than the linear distance of the cable - the light doesn't go straight through.
But if the fiber was originally straight there would be the possibility that the light would go straight through. That's the point.

I have recently performed this experiment several times. I have found out that if it is coiled, there is a fast speed of light, then if it propagates through a straight fiber optic cable. Further experiments are underway as I am typing this to see if its a function of intesity, radius, number of coils etc. But as i see it now, with 101 number of coils, a 20.036 meter long cable, a radius of .5 meters, the speed of light is .1 times more through the coiled cable. We think its due to the internale stresses of the cable, one end being in compression and the other in tension, and due to the reflection through the cable, there might be more tension then compression per unit delta length.

1. What is the difference in speed between C and Fiber Optics?

C refers to the traditional copper wire technology used in telecommunications, while fiber optics use light pulses to transmit data. Fiber optics can transmit data at a much faster rate than C, with speeds up to 100 Gbps compared to C's maximum of 10 Gbps.

2. Is it true that fiber optics is more expensive than C?

While the initial installation cost of fiber optic cables may be higher, in the long run, it can actually be more cost-effective. Fiber optics require less maintenance and have a longer lifespan compared to C, making it a more cost-efficient option.

3. Can C and fiber optics be used together?

Yes, C and fiber optics can be used together in a network. However, the overall speed of the network will be limited by the slowest component. This means that if you have a mix of C and fiber optics, the network speed will be limited to the speed of the C connection.

4. Is it true that fiber optics is not affected by electromagnetic interference (EMI)?

Yes, this is true. Fiber optics use light to transmit data, so they are not affected by EMI like C, which uses electrical signals. This makes fiber optics a more reliable option in environments with high levels of EMI, such as near power lines or in industrial settings.

5. Are there any myths about fiber optics that need to be debunked?

One common myth is that fiber optics are fragile and can easily break. While it is true that fiber optic cables are smaller in diameter than C cables, they are actually more durable. They are made of strong materials and are often protected by additional layers, making them resistant to damage.