Tension in a String just before it breaks (Circular Motion)

In summary, the problem involves a 120 g ball on a 60 cm long string being swung in a vertical circle above the floor. The string breaks when the ball is moving upward and reaches a height of 650 cm. To find the tension in the string before it broke, the equation Vf^2-Vi^2=2aS is used to calculate the initial velocity of the ball when it breaks away from the string. The tension force can then be found by drawing a free body diagram and using the equation F=ma. However, it is important to note that the only force acting on the ball in the radial direction is the tension force, and other factors such as rounding errors should be taken into consideration.
parkskier

Homework Statement

A 120 g ball on a 60 cm long string is swung in a vertical circle about a point 200 cm above the floor. The string suddenly breaks when it is parallel to the ground and the ball is moving upward. The ball reaches a height of 650 cm above the floor. What was the tension in the string an instant before it broke?

Homework Equations

Vf^2-Vi^2=2aS

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the above equation to find the intial velocity when it breaks away from the string. Here's how I set that up:

(0)^2-(Vi)^2=2(-9.8)(.45)

This yielded: Vi= 2.969 m/s
Now my problem is how do I use this velocity to find the tension of the string just before it breaks?

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw the FBD and see what forces are acting on the ball and where the Tension fits in.

also you're missing one important equation:

[tex]\vec{a}=\frac{\vec{v}^2}{R}[/tex]

Okay, so my FBD looks like this:

Tension<------
......|
......|
......V
.....mg

So...the only force in the x direction is Tension. The force of tension is F=ma, so using the equation you gave me I get my a to be 14.691 m/s^2, then multipling by the mass I get the Force of Tension to be 1.76, but this isn't right. Is there some way I need to incorporate the weight into the equation, I'm sure there must be.

Any help? Please?

parkskier said:
Any help? Please?
Trust your FBD. The only force acting in the radial centripetal direction is the tension force. Check math and round off errors, problem statement, etc.

1. What causes tension in a string?

Tension in a string is caused by an external force pulling or stretching the string in opposite directions. This force creates a resistance within the string, resulting in tension.

2. How does tension affect circular motion?

Tension plays a crucial role in maintaining circular motion. In a circular motion, the tension in the string provides the centripetal force that keeps the object moving in a circular path.

3. What happens to the tension in a string as it approaches its breaking point?

As a string approaches its breaking point, the tension in the string increases. This is because the string is being stretched to its maximum capacity, causing the resistance within the string to increase.

4. Can the tension in a string ever be greater than its breaking point?

No, the tension in a string cannot be greater than its breaking point. If the tension exceeds the breaking point, the string will break and lose its ability to provide the necessary centripetal force for circular motion.

5. How can the tension in a string be calculated?

The tension in a string can be calculated using the equation T = mv^2/r, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.