Learning Math with Limited Visual Tools When Calculus is Required

In summary: You might want to try reading a different book or looking at some practice problems to see if that makes the concepts more clear.
bubbles
I'm currently taking calculus ("differential calculus of several variables") and I really dislike math (even though I used to like math), but it's required for my major (comp sci). My teacher can't draw and does not show us graphics of 3-D graphs and functions, so I have a hard time 'seeing' the math. The textbook I'm using isn't really good (not as helpful as the textbook I used for single variable calculus). Do you have suggestions to help me learn math and make it more interesting? Are there any helpful visual tools online? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bubbles,
If your teacher can not draw, you still must learn to draw fittingly for your Calculus course. Drawing for 3D several variables (three of them) is a necessary part of your course. Your course may or may not be interesting, but it will have some components which you need for your major field - you don't know which you need until later in whatever jobs you do. At least, you need to develop skills in Calculus as a tool. Your book should have a few applied problems to help make the course more interesting; otherwise, you probably have a poor book.

You might be able to find a graphing calculator with some 3D capabilities, but you should not need this kind of technology. None of the rest of us ever needed such technology when we studied multivariable Calculus; WE LEARNED TO DRAW. ...but in case you find some good 3D program, I hope you use it well and enjoy it.

Could you ASK your teacher to draw some 3D representations for clarity of presentation? Seriously, when I was a student, 3D cartesian graph drawing was both part of instruction ON A CHALK BOARD, and part of study & practice exercises (on paper).

I don't have a problem drawing the graphs, but I have problems visualizing derivatives in 3-D since my instructor doesn't draw them; he just has us memorize equations and solve problems. I guess the textbook I'm using (stewart, 5e) isn't that bad since it seems to be pretty popular, but it doesn't explain things as clearly and as detailed as the textbook I used for single variable calculus (larson, 8e), and I actually liked my previous calculus course. I think what I need is some studying materials (in addition to the book). Do you think that it's easier to memorize formulas by just reading them over and over or should I do practice problems? Unlike in other classes, I just don't see why or how the formulas make sense since the instructor doesn't explain why we use those formulas, so memorizing them is a bit difficult.

use a different book.

Id get maple, derive or a cheap graphing calculator, maybe this will help you see the math better.

Ya. I personally use maple 11 when I need REAL detail, but I also have a really cool graphing calculator with more functions than I can name in a day. 3D graphing is one of them. A TI Voyage 200 is a great calculator for 3D graphing mainly because it has numerous uptions for the graph, and it also has a bigger screen.

Thanks for the advice. I am going to do more practice problems (both inside and outside the textbook). I still can't visualize partial derivatives and interpret them though I know how to take the derivatives, but I just learned them, so that might take some time to understand. I will probably have to do some outside reading (recommendations?) to get a better grasp of the material since I don't really like the textbook.

It's strange that I like math-related subjects but not the math itself. I've always been able to do math but I never really liked it until I see it being applied in physics. Is it possible to do well in math-related subjects if I don't like math (but also don't dislike it)?

bubbles said:
...clipped out...
It's strange that I like math-related subjects but not the math itself. I've always been able to do math but I never really liked it until I see it being applied in physics. Is it possible to do well in math-related subjects if I don't like math (but also don't dislike it)?

That is not strange. STUDYING the Mathematics can be more difficult than learning to use Mathematics as a tool.

1. How can I learn math without visual tools when calculus is required?

Learning math without visual tools can feel challenging, but there are still effective ways to understand and solve calculus problems. One approach is to focus on understanding the concepts and principles behind the math rather than relying solely on visual aids. Additionally, practicing with numerical and algebraic examples can help solidify understanding and problem-solving skills.

2. Are there any online resources or tools that can assist with learning math without visuals?

Yes, there are various online resources and tools available that can assist with learning math without visuals. These include interactive tutorials, virtual manipulatives, and videos that explain concepts in a step-by-step manner. Some websites also offer practice problems and quizzes to test understanding.

3. Is it possible to excel in calculus without relying on visual aids?

Yes, it is possible to excel in calculus without relying on visual aids. It may take some extra effort and practice, but with a strong understanding of the principles and concepts, as well as consistent practice, one can become proficient in calculus without the use of visual tools.

4. How can I overcome the challenges of learning math without visual aids?

Some strategies for overcoming the challenges of learning math without visual aids include seeking out additional resources such as textbooks and online tutorials, working with a tutor or study group, and practicing regularly. It may also be helpful to break down complex problems into smaller, manageable parts and to approach them from different angles.

5. What are some tips for retaining information and accurately solving problems without visuals?

To retain information and accurately solve problems without visuals, it can be helpful to take detailed notes, create study aids such as flashcards or cheat sheets, and practice regularly. It can also be beneficial to explain concepts and problems to someone else, as this can reinforce understanding and reveal any gaps in knowledge.