Agol, Interesting objects in Perseus.

• Thread starter Integral
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interesting
In summary, Dave has some great pointers on how to see Perseus. It is not that hard to find, and is a circumpolar constellation that is always in the sky, northern hemisphere of course.
Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Great pointers Dave, that will be easy to find. Perseus is not that hard to see. It is one of the circumpolar constellations, so is pretty much always in the sky, northern hemisphere of course.

Has anyone observed a blink of Algol? That is one of those things that I have always wanted to see, but have just never planned a time for it.

For those not familiar with it, Algol is an eclipsing binary star system, One of the pair of stars is much dimmer. Every 3 days (approximately) the dimmer star passes in front causing the star to appear noticeably dimmer for short period. The ancient Greeks observed this change in brightness and saw it as the blinking eye in the decapitated of head Medusa.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Integral said:
Has anyone observed a blink of Algol? That is one of those things that I have always wanted to see, but have just never planned a time for it.

For those not familiar with it, Algol is an eclipsing binary star system, One of the pair of stars is much dimmer. Every 3 days (approximately) the dimmer star passes in front causing the star to appear noticeably dimmer for short period. The ancient Greeks observed this change in brightness and saw it as the blinking eye in the decapitated of head Medusa.
I did not know that.

I should have linked http://www.astro.uiuc.edu/~kaler/sow/algol.html" in my previous post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. I was wondering how long the transition took. It takes a mere hour to dim and another hour to brighten again. That's within the attention span of a backyard astronomer.

Do you know if there is a time chart that tells when to look?

DaveC426913 said:
Wow. I was wondering how long the transition took. It takes a mere hour to dim and another hour to brighten again. That's within the attention span of a backyard astronomer.

Do you know if there is a time chart that tells when to look?

I believe that there is a table in the Astromony Field Book, which due to a recent round of disorganization, I cannot lay my hands on my copy. There should be something online. I have made a quick Google search, but not spent anytime at it. I will keep looking.

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/variablestars/3304096.html?page=1&c=y" a caclulator. There is one one on the 22Nov that looks like a good time for me.

These Algol post are sort of Off topic. I am going to split them into a new thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Agol?

Agol stands for "Astronomical Glimpses of Objects in the Local Universe". It is a catalog of interesting objects in the Perseus galaxy cluster, compiled by astronomers using data from the Chandra X-ray Observatory.

2. How many objects are included in Agol?

As of 2021, there are over 500 objects included in the Agol catalog. These objects range from galaxy clusters and supernova remnants to active galactic nuclei and star-forming regions.

3. What makes these objects interesting?

These objects are considered interesting because they emit high levels of X-ray radiation, indicating that they are undergoing active processes such as star formation, black hole accretion, or interactions with other galaxies. They also provide valuable insights into the structure and evolution of the Perseus cluster.

4. Can Agol be accessed by the public?

Yes, the Agol catalog is publicly available and can be accessed through the Chandra Data Archive. It is a valuable resource for scientists and students studying astrophysics and galaxy clusters.

5. Is Agol constantly updated with new objects?

Yes, Agol is regularly updated as new data from Chandra and other telescopes become available. As our technology and understanding of the universe advances, the catalog will continue to grow and expand, providing new insights into the fascinating objects in the Perseus cluster.