Angular Momentum Raising Operator

Ah, ok. I understand (I hope).So, with Eq. 4.121 goes to:A^{2}_{2} = \hbar \sqrt{2(2+1) - 2(2\mp 1} ---->A^{2}_{2} = \hbar \sqrt{6 - 2} = 2\hbarThe other leads to zero, so I guess I can throw that out.So, if I understood correctly the first step is done?L_{+} Y^{1}_{2} = 2\hbar Y^{2}_{2} ?Or do I just say:\frac{L_{+} Y^{1}_{
Rahmuss

Homework Statement

In Problem 4.3 you showed that

[tex]Y^{1}_{2}(\theta , \phi) = -\sqrt{15/8\pi} sin\theta cos\theta e^{i\phi}[/tex]

Apply the raising operator to find [tex]Y^{2}_{2}(\theta , \phi)[/tex]. Use Equation 4.121 to get the normalization.

Homework Equations

[Eq. 4.121] [tex]A^{m}_{l} = \hbar \sqrt{l(l + 1) - m(m \pm 1)} = \hbar \sqrt{(l \mp m)(l \pm m +1)}[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I think my problem, in part, is that I don't know what they mean when they say "Use Equation 4.121 to get the normalization." So, with that in mind I did try something; but it seems too simple:

[tex]L_{+} Y^{1}_{2}(\theta , \phi) = \epsilon \sqrt{\frac{(2l + 1)(l - |(m+1)|)\fact}{4\pi(l + |(m+1)|)\fact}} e^{i(m+1)\phi} P^{(m+1)}_{l}(x)[/tex]

So, everywhere I have just [tex]m[/tex], I add one to it, which really just gives me the formula for [tex]Y^{2}_{2}[/tex]. Then solving it is simple. So I must not be understanding the question properly. And I don't see what equation 4.121 has to do with anything. I'm used to noramlization being something like:

[tex]1 = \int^{\infty}_{-\infty}|\psi|^{2} dx[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Rahmuss said:

Homework Statement

In Problem 4.3 you showed that

[tex]Y^{1}_{2}(\theta , \phi) = -\sqrt{15/8\pi} sin\theta cos\theta e^{i\phi}[/tex]

Apply the raising operator to find [tex]Y^{2}_{2}(\theta , \phi)[/tex]. Use Equation 4.121 to get the normalization.

Homework Equations

[Eq. 4.121] [tex]A^{m}_{l} = \hbar \sqrt{l(l + 1) - m(m \pm 1)} = \hbar \sqrt{(l \mp m)(l \pm m +1)}[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I think my problem, in part, is that I don't know what they mean when they say "Use Equation 4.121 to get the normalization." So, with that in mind I did try something; but it seems too simple:

[tex]L_{+} Y^{1}_{2}(\theta , \phi) = \epsilon \sqrt{\frac{(2l + 1)(l - |(m+1)|)\fact}{4\pi(l + |(m+1)|)\fact}} e^{i(m+1)\phi} P^{(m+1)}_{l}(x)[/tex]

So, everywhere I have just [tex]m[/tex], I add one to it, which really just gives me the formula for [tex]Y^{2}_{2}[/tex]. Then solving it is simple. So I must not be understanding the question properly. And I don't see what equation 4.121 has to do with anything. I'm used to noramlization being something like:

[tex]1 = \int^{\infty}_{-\infty}|\psi|^{2} dx[/tex]

First step:

[itex] L_+ Y^1_2 [/itex] is equal to what? It's equal to some constant times [itex] Y_2^2 [/itex], right? What is that constant?

You mean the whole:

[tex]\hat{Q}f(x) = qf(x)[/tex]

If that's what you mean, then I guess it would just be:

[tex]L_{+}Y^{1}_{2} = lY^{2}_{2}[/tex]

? Is that right?
Earlier on the chapter discusses

[tex]L^{2}f_{t} = \lambda f_{t}[/tex]

But it doesn't apply the [tex]L_{+}[/tex] operator.

Last edited:
Rahmuss said:
You mean the whole:

[tex]\hat{Q}f(x) = qf(x)[/tex]

If that's what you mean, then I guess it would just be:

[tex]L_{+}Y^{1}_{2} = lY^{2}_{2}[/tex]

? Is that right?
Earlier on the chapter discusses

[tex]L^{2}f_{t} = \lambda f_{t}[/tex]

But it doesn't apply the [tex]L_{+}[/tex] operator.

Of course, Y^1_2 is NOT an eigenstate of L_+ so you can't use the eigenvalue equation.

What I mean is : use equation 4.121 to figure out the constant! That's what 4.121 is for! To figure out the constant generated when applying the raising or lowering operators!

Ah, ok. I understand (I hope).

So, with Eq. 4.121 goes to:

[tex]A^{2}_{2} = \hbar \sqrt{2(2+1) - 2(2\mp 1}[/tex] ---->

[tex]A^{2}_{2} = \hbar \sqrt{6 - 2} = 2\hbar[/tex]

The other leads to zero, so I guess I can throw that out.

So, if I understood correctly the first step is done?

[tex]L_{+} Y^{1}_{2} = 2\hbar Y^{2}_{2}[/tex] ?

Or do I just say:

[tex]\frac{L_{+} Y^{1}_{2}}{2\hbar} = Y^{2}_{2}[/tex]

What is an Angular Momentum Raising Operator?

An Angular Momentum Raising Operator, also known as a Ladder Operator, is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to represent the possible angular momentum states of a physical system. It is used to raise the angular momentum of a state by one unit, and is denoted by the symbol J+.

How does an Angular Momentum Raising Operator work?

The Angular Momentum Raising Operator is defined as J+ = Jx + iJy, where Jx and Jy are the x and y components of the angular momentum operator, respectively. When applied to a state, it increases the angular momentum by one unit and changes the direction of the angular momentum vector in the x-y plane.

What is the significance of the Angular Momentum Raising Operator in quantum mechanics?

The Angular Momentum Raising Operator is significant in quantum mechanics because it allows us to determine the possible angular momentum states of a physical system and how they can change. It also plays a crucial role in the quantum mechanical description of spin and orbital angular momentum.

What are the properties of an Angular Momentum Raising Operator?

Some properties of an Angular Momentum Raising Operator include that it is a Hermitian operator, meaning it is equal to its own conjugate transpose. It also satisfies the commutation relation [Jz, J+] = ħJ+, where Jz is the z component of the angular momentum operator. Additionally, the eigenvalues of J+ are given by the formula Jz + ħ, where Jz is the eigenvalue of the angular momentum state.

How is the Angular Momentum Raising Operator used in quantum mechanical calculations?

The Angular Momentum Raising Operator is used in quantum mechanical calculations to determine the possible angular momentum states of a system and how they can change. It is also used to calculate the expectation value of the angular momentum, as well as the probabilities of different angular momentum states. Additionally, it is used to construct the angular momentum eigenstates, which are important in solving quantum mechanical problems involving angular momentum.