Angle between products of decay

In summary, the problem is to find the angle between the products of a Meson B+ decay at J/ψ and K+, with a given momentum of 5GeV in the lab frame. To solve this, the conservation of momentum and energy equations must be used, as well as trigonometric identities to relate the momentum components in the lab frame to the center of mass frame. Further review of these concepts and equations is suggested to find the missing angle.
estrella

Homework Statement

Meson B+ decays at J/ψ and K+.
we know the masses of the particles and we are looking for the angle between the products when B+ has a momentum of 5GeV in lab frame.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i found the momentum and energies at cm frame (easy..)
then i assumed that B+ is mooving at x axes (in lab)
i analized momentums of products (both in cm and lab) in x axes to use the Lorentz transformations

qx=q*cosθ
qy=q*sinθ
Lorentz: qxL=γ(q*cosθ+uE*)
qyL=q*sinθ
so tanΘL=qyL/qxL

how can i find the angle θ ?

do i miss something? i think i don't have enough data.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, it seems like you are on the right track with using Lorentz transformations to find the angle between the products in the lab frame. However, you will need to use the conservation of momentum and energy equations to solve for the missing data. Additionally, you may need to use trigonometric identities to relate the momentum components in the lab frame to the momentum components in the center of mass frame. I suggest reviewing these concepts and equations to help you find the missing angle. Good luck!

1. What is the angle between products of decay?

The angle between products of decay is the angle formed between the paths of two particles that are created as a result of radioactive decay.

2. How is the angle between products of decay measured?

The angle between products of decay is measured using various techniques, such as particle detectors or imaging techniques. These methods allow scientists to track the paths of the particles and determine the angle between them.

3. Why is the angle between products of decay important in nuclear physics?

The angle between products of decay provides valuable information about the underlying nuclear interactions and can help in understanding the structure of atomic nuclei. It also plays a crucial role in determining the energy and momentum of the particles involved in the decay process.

4. Can the angle between products of decay change over time?

Yes, the angle between products of decay can change over time as the particles move and interact with other particles. It can also vary depending on the type of decay and the energy of the particles involved.

5. How does the angle between products of decay affect the stability of a nucleus?

The angle between products of decay can influence the stability of a nucleus as it can determine the energy and momentum of the particles that are emitted during the decay process. In some cases, a specific angle between products of decay may be necessary for a nucleus to undergo a certain type of decay, making it a critical factor in nuclear stability.