Atmospheric Scattering Problem

In summary, the Earth's atmosphere scatters green light instead of blue light, resulting in a green sky. The sun, which appears yellow/red due to the scattering of high frequency light, will appear magenta in this scenario. This is because without green light present in the additive primary colors, the remaining blue and red light will mix to create magenta. There is some debate over whether this would actually occur, as it is unclear if only green light is being scattered or the entire green end of the spectrum.
jcdenton89
Hello, just need some guidance - I hope my logic is correct!

Homework Statement

So I have a scenario where the Earth's atmosphere, instead of scattering blue light from the sun, actually scatters green light based on Rayleigh scattering.

I know that the sky will therefore appear green, but how will the sun appear?

I reasoned the sun will be magenta using the normal situation on Earth.

Homework Equations

Not an equation type problem but relies on the Rayleigh scattering principle.

The Attempt at a Solution

The sun appears yellow/red (toward sunsets) even though its true color is closer to white because the sun's high frequency light (violet/blue) is scattered in the atmosphere by oxygen and nitrogen molecules. Yellows and reds are low frequency, long wavelength, and are able to penetrate the atmosphere without scattering. During sunsets, the angle of sunlight is very shallow and must go through more atmosphere and undergo more scattering. Much less blue light is transmitted and the low end of the color spectrum is dominant - so we see red/orange sunsets

If in a similar situation, green light were to be scattered, then wouldn't green light be much less dominant in the color spectrum? So by removing Green from the additive primary colors, we lose yellow (normal perceived sun color) and cyan as well. The blue and red frequency light will be able to penetrate the atmosphere, mix, and result in magenta with a scattered green sky as the background.

What do you think? I was toying between a yellow or magenta sun...but i think magenta seems a good option.

Physics news on Phys.org
jcdenton89 said:
So I have a scenario where the Earth's atmosphere, instead of scattering blue light from the sun, actually scatters green light based on Rayleigh scattering.

If it is Rayleigh scattering, then how come the blue is not being scattered more than the green? I understand the point you are trying to make, but you will have to come up with some different mechanism.

Yes, I understand your point. I naturally thought that if the green frequencies were able to be scattered, then the higher frequencies such as blue would be scattered for sure.

However, the problem does not mention whether scattering is based on just green light or rather the green end of the spectrum all the way up to the higher frequencies. I believe that the question assumes that, given this hypothetical situation, the air molecules act unusually and scatter only the green frequency light. I suppose this situation isn't strictly Rayleigh scattering - sorry.

1. What is atmospheric scattering and why is it important in the study of atmospheric science?

Atmospheric scattering refers to the process by which sunlight and other electromagnetic radiation is scattered and absorbed by particles in the Earth's atmosphere. This phenomenon is important in atmospheric science because it affects the amount of solar radiation that reaches the Earth's surface, which in turn influences weather patterns and climate.

2. How does atmospheric scattering differ from the greenhouse effect?

Atmospheric scattering and the greenhouse effect are both processes that influence the amount of solar radiation that reaches the Earth's surface. However, atmospheric scattering primarily affects the amount of visible light that is scattered and absorbed, while the greenhouse effect primarily affects the amount of infrared radiation that is trapped in the atmosphere.

3. What are the main factors that contribute to atmospheric scattering?

The main factors that contribute to atmospheric scattering include the density and composition of particles in the atmosphere, the wavelength of the incident radiation, and the angle at which the radiation enters the atmosphere.

4. How does atmospheric scattering impact air quality and visibility?

Atmospheric scattering can have a significant impact on air quality and visibility. When particles in the atmosphere, such as pollutants or dust, scatter sunlight, it can lead to reduced visibility and hazy conditions. In addition, atmospheric scattering can also contribute to the formation of smog and other air pollutants.

5. How do scientists study and model atmospheric scattering?

Scientists use a combination of field measurements, laboratory experiments, and computer models to study and model atmospheric scattering. Field measurements involve collecting and analyzing data from various locations, while laboratory experiments allow for controlled studies of specific variables. Computer models use mathematical equations to simulate atmospheric scattering and can help predict future changes in atmospheric conditions.