Challenging Walmart: Experiences with Low-Quality Meats

• Thread starter Greg Freeman
  • Start date
In summary, the author found bad meat at both WalMart and Whole Foods. The WalMart meat packers are outsourcing their meat packing, and the CO in the meat makes it look fresh even when it is past the "sell by" date. The author prefers regular grocery stores because they have a better selection of cheese.
jim mcnamara said:
Assuming this is correct, wouldn't the boat trip to and from India be a deal breaker :smile:
Talk about past the expiration date...

LOL That would be a long trip.

In 2000 walmart closed down their in store meat cutting and packaging and contracted it out to various regional vendors.

Physics news on Phys.org
edward said:
In 2000 walmart closed down their in store meat cutting and packaging and contracted it out to various regional vendors.
So, that would be considered a good thing.

I have purchased some great meat at Walmart. Their hamburger is top notch. The chicken is excellent. If I wanted a superior steak, I don't know if I would expect to find one at Walmart, but I guess if I bought their best, it would be fine.

I prefer angus beef, and I don't recall seeing angus at Walmart.

I do not care for the quality of most of their produce, however. Once in awhile I will see something nice, but most of the time the produce is badly bruised. Perhaps that is partly the fault of some of the patrons that appear to have no common sense and an apparent lack of a produce manager.

I have noted that just on the groceries I buy for myself that I save over $30 per trip buying the same name brands that I would at a regular grocery store. I only entered a Whole Foods store once and left without purchasing anything. Can you say "overpriced and mediocre"?

Cyrus said:
Always buy quality food, no matter the price. Its going into your body.

I hope all wall marts go out of business and small grocery shops return.

I disagree.

From my experience in small (mom/pop) shops, the owners are just dumb and can't run a business. That's the real reason they go under.

I've seen some nice small businesses, but not that many.

Cyrus said:
Just walk into a good halal meat market. The meat looks completely different from a grocery store. Its bright red and FRESH. The stuff in the super markets are light red/white-ish.

The halal meat place will take a big slab of meat and cut what you want right infront of you.

Halal meat is no different than regular meat.