Refractive index of Martian atmosphere near surface

In summary, The conversation discusses the search for a good reference or means of estimating the refractive index of the near surface Martian atmosphere. Various equations and resources are mentioned, such as the Kaye and Laby website and the Birch and Downs article. The refractive index of CO2 is also mentioned, but with limited information and uncertainty about the values at the Martian surface. Additionally, the ratio of vacuum to air in Mars' atmosphere is brought up as a factor to consider when estimating the refractive index.
Ex1
Hi folks,
Does anyone have a good reference for the refractive index of the near surface Martian atmosphere?
(Or alternatively, the means to estimate it from readily available data!)

I'm struggling to think of an equation for which I've got enough of the variables to be of use, (for example assuming the atmosphere is CO2, and the pressure is ~6mbar, temperature etc.)

Hope you'll be able to help. Thanks in advance!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Thanks very much for your reply Janus. But am I missing something obvious? The section taken largely from Birch & Downs's "Correction to the Updated Edlh Equation for the Refractive Index of Air" deals specifically with air rather than CO2, and the tables don't give values for CO2 the pressure regime at the Martian surface. :confused:

http://www.ps.missouri.edu/rickspage/refract/refraction.html

CO2 n=1.000449 according to this page, but the page explicitly says the numbers are a guideline only and as far as I can tell there are no references. Since I am assuming this n value is at 1atm, you will have to convert the value to reflect the difference pressure at Mars' surface. I am not sure what forumula will help you do this, I am curious about this too, so if you find the formula post it for me.

Cheers.

Mars' atmo is 49 parts vacuum to 1 part air :wink:

I would think its refractive index is effectively 1.

DaveC426913 said:
Mars' atmo is 49 parts vacuum to 1 part air :wink:

I would think its refractive index is effectively 1.

Dave, is that at the surface of Mars?

What is the refractive index of the Martian atmosphere near the surface?

The refractive index of the Martian atmosphere near the surface varies based on several factors, such as temperature, pressure, and composition. On average, it is around 1.005, which is slightly lower than Earth's atmosphere.

Why is the refractive index of the Martian atmosphere near the surface important to study?

Understanding the refractive index of the Martian atmosphere near the surface is crucial for several reasons. It helps us accurately measure the distance of objects on Mars, such as mountains and valleys. It also affects the behavior of light and how it travels through the atmosphere, which is important for imaging and communication systems.

How is the refractive index of the Martian atmosphere near the surface measured?

The refractive index of the Martian atmosphere near the surface is typically measured using a technique called atmospheric refraction. This involves observing the apparent position of a celestial object and comparing it to its actual position to calculate the refractive index. Other methods, such as remote sensing and modeling, are also used to estimate the refractive index.

Does the refractive index of the Martian atmosphere near the surface change over time?

Yes, the refractive index of the Martian atmosphere near the surface can change over time due to various factors, such as changes in temperature, pressure, and dust storms. These changes can affect the accuracy of measurements and must be taken into consideration when studying the Martian atmosphere.

How does the refractive index of the Martian atmosphere near the surface compare to Earth's atmosphere?

The refractive index of the Martian atmosphere near the surface is slightly lower than Earth's atmosphere, which has an average refractive index of 1.0003. This is due to the composition and density of the Martian atmosphere, which is significantly different from Earth's atmosphere. However, both atmospheres exhibit similar behaviors in terms of light refraction and atmospheric effects on measurements and observations.