Forum Specific Who's online

• Thread starter Kurdt
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the absence of the "who is online" feature at the bottom of certain forums on Physics Forums. Some users are not bothered by its absence, but others found it useful for creating a sense of community. One user noticed the issue and brought it up, and it was quickly resolved by the site's administrator, Greg. Another user also brings up the disappearance of SCIAM news feeds and blog listings, to which another user responds that they are likely being modified and will be back soon.
Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I just noticed a few minutes ago that at the bottom of specific forums such as General Discussion, there is now no display of who is online viewing that forum. I'm not particularly bothered by its absence but I thought I'd flag it up in case its a symptom of something else or other people found the feature useful.

Physics news on Phys.org
I just noticed that also.

GREG??

No wonder some of the forums seemed strangely deserted.

Evo said:
I just noticed that also.

GREG??

I noticed it about four or five hours ago, but I was hoping it was a very temporary glitch. I look at this almost every time I refresh a forum. As I've said before, this feature really helps to give Physics Forums a sense of community.

Looks like its back up. Cheers Greg :smile: Hope it was nothing major.

Cheers for Greg! He fixed the problem before I even noticed it existed!

Is it just me or have the SCIAM news feeds and blog listings disappeared?

Evo said:
Is it just me or have the SCIAM news feeds and blog listings disappeared?

yup, sciam must be modifying their feed, should be back soon

What does "Forum Specific Who's online" mean?

"Forum Specific Who's online" refers to a feature on a forum or online community platform that allows users to see which members are currently active or online on a specific forum or section of the forum.

How does the "Forum Specific Who's online" feature work?

The feature works by tracking the activity of users on a specific forum or section of the forum. This information is then displayed to other users, usually in a list format, so they can see who is currently online in that specific area.

Why is the "Forum Specific Who's online" feature useful?

This feature can be useful for several reasons. It allows users to see who else is active in a specific forum or section, which can help facilitate discussions and interactions. It can also help users identify which forums or sections are most popular and active, and can assist moderators in managing and monitoring their forum.

Can I customize the "Forum Specific Who's online" feature?

Some forum platforms may allow users to customize the "Forum Specific Who's online" feature. This can include options to hide or show certain user information, or adjust the layout and display of the feature. However, the level of customization will vary depending on the forum platform.

Is the information displayed in "Forum Specific Who's online" real-time?

In most cases, the information displayed in the "Forum Specific Who's online" feature is real-time, meaning it is updated in real-time as users are active on the forum. However, there may be some delay depending on the platform and server speed.