How to build a scale model of a trebuchet?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of building a scale model of a trebuchet. The participants share their experiences with different materials and methods for constructing a trebuchet, as well as their interest in creating a larger version capable of flinging heavier objects. They also discuss various TV shows and websites that feature trebuchet building and provide information on the physics behind it. The conversation ends with someone mentioning a college project involving building a trebuchet and another person asking about solving the equations for a trebuchet.
Enigma'07
Anyone have some ideas about how to build a scale model of a trebuchet?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Um, what scale? I helped my nephew build one with the erector set type stuff that I believe is called k-nex. Have you ever watched one in action? I seen something on NOVA on PBS and just by watching it was able to build the model one in less than half an hour. The model one was fun, but I'd like to make a LARGE one that could fling oh, say a small car or something. Hmmmmm, maybe a large bladder full of water. LOL I already have the large surgical tubing slingshot that is used for water balloons, but imagine flinging about 200 gallons of water.

You can buy kits and plans, or look at finished ones and figure it out for yourself. I have the tabletop model - it flings stuff about 30 ft.

swansont said:
You can buy kits and plans, or look at finished ones and figure it out for yourself. I have the tabletop model - it flings stuff about 30 ft.

incredible as it seems I've seen photos of one flinging an upright piano
it was a fullsize upright and got flung way far (but I don't remember how many yards)
must have made quite a noise when it landed
the photos were in some wide circulation magazine like National Geographic but I don't remember which----quite a while ago
maybe someone else remembers

marcus said:
incredible as it seems I've seen photos of one flinging an upright piano
it was a fullsize upright and got flung way far (but I don't remember how many yards)
must have made quite a noise when it landed
the photos were in some wide circulation magazine like National Geographic but I don't remember which----quite a while ago
maybe someone else remembers
Something very similar to this was done on a episode of Northern Exposure a few years back. Great show. That Trebuchet was acquired by the local Summer festival ( Corvallis Oregon, Davinci (sp?) Days) they set it up one summer and used it to throw pallets full of old computer parts. It never matched the throw shown on the show. But still a pretty impressive machine. I believe that it was hard to store and set up so am not sure what its ultimate fate was.Davinic Days Trebuchet

Last edited:
Integral said:
Something very similar to this was done on a episode of Northern Exposure a few years back. Great show. That Trebuchet was acquired by the local Summer festival ( Corvallis Oregon, Davinci (sp?) Days) they set it up one summer and used it to throw pallets full of old computer parts. It never matched the throw shown on the show. But still a pretty impressive machine. I believe that it was hard to store and set up so am not sure what its ultimate fate was.Davinic Days Trebuchet

Oh, sure. I finish my degree in '95 and the next year they get a trebuchet. :grumpy:

Trebuchet episodes

Check the History channel in your TV program guide. I've seen a couple of programs on the subject. One is called 'Mail Call', and in that one there was an episode in which a medium sized trebuchet was used to fling watermelons. The other was on a program dedicated to the Trebuchet, and this one, if it is repeated might be announced in the guide. In it, a large Trebuchet is used, among other things, to throw an upright piano. (There may even have been another program on the subject - - I can't recall for sure.)

In any account, check the History channel (and maybe also the Discovery channel) in your guide. You could also try the History and Discovery channel websites. There may be some info there; or someone there may give you some information.

Anyone here ever solve all of the equations for a trebuchet? It is a tough problem - or a bunch of moderate problems I should say.

Njorl

One of those history channel shows about the trebuchet had a bunch of guys in England building a full size replica of a medieval trebuchet from wood with lead for the counterweight. With it, they flung sandstone balls weighing 250 lbs. They had made a section of medieval castle wall to aim at and try to knock apart. Adjusting the aim on such a massive piece of siege machinery turned out to be tricky. They succeeded, though, and knocked the wall apart from something like 200 yards away.

This team of people was working from scratch with only crude illustrations to guide them. One thing they discovered was that the wheels on the base weren't merely to wheel it into position. They were an important means of dealing with the recoil of a fling.

Last edited by a moderator:
zoobyshoe said:
This team of people was working from scratch with only crude illustrations to guide them. One thing they discovered was that the wheels on the base weren't merely to wheel it into position. They were an important means of dealing with the recoil of a fling.

Trebuchets work from conservation of momentum, there's no recoil as such. In fact, the trebuchet is pulled forward while firing. Putting the trebuchet on wheels takes advantage of that forward movement, and makes the trebuchet more efficient.

NateTG said:
Trebuchets work from conservation of momentum, there's no recoil as such. In fact, the trebuchet is pulled forward while firing. Putting the trebuchet on wheels takes advantage of that forward movement, and makes the trebuchet more efficient.
That makes sence. If you have no wheels the forward force puts a great stress on the frame. Then there is a restoring force in the opposite direction. It is a damped oscillation, really, that wastes energy and unnessesarily stresses the frame.

Trebuchet project

This may be a bit large, but here is a website for a college class project.

http://www.nctc.tec.oh.us/webpub/kekegren/project2004/trebuchet/trebuchet.htm

Treb Equations

Njorl said:
Anyone here ever solve all of the equations for a trebuchet? It is a tough problem - or a bunch of moderate problems I should say.

Njorl

Speaking of...
This is madness. I have much respect for this individual. This is going to assist me greatly in my construction :biggrin: http://www.algobeautytreb.com/trebmath35.pdf

oi man i really need sum help...do u noe nething about the ebergies of a trebuchet like kinetic energy,etc. man i wood really preciate it...and email me at sexy_genius92@hotmail.com...and yeh i 14

Flinging 200 gallon bladder of water? That's about 3/4 of a ton. I would think that you could seriously injur someone with that.

Enginator said:
Flinging 200 gallon bladder of water? That's about 3/4 of a ton. I would think that you could seriously injur someone with that.

Yes you could. I doubt I would ever try it, but not for that reason.

Think about this: People shoot high power deer rifles all the time. They could seriously injure people too.

I just wanted to make sure that if any college kids were reading this that they didn't get any stupid ideas. I remember being a college kid and there was no telling what me or my friends would do given an intriguing idea. :)

zoobyshoe said:
One of those history channel shows about the trebouchet had a bunch of guys in England building a full size replica of a medieval trebouchet from wood with lead for the counterweight. With it, they flung sandstone balls weighing 250 lbs. They had made a section of medieval castle wall to aim at and try to knock apart. Adjusting the aim on such a massive piece of siege machinery turned out to be tricky. They succeeded, though, and knocked the wall apart from something like 200 yards away.

My uncle actually worked on that project, having been hired as a master timber-framer. He's since built some smaller versions and used to do demos at schools. I'm thinking of building one myself as a project for my IB Physics class, and I'm curious if anyone has any resources relating to the maths...

Junk Yard Wars did a couple of episodes on this. Threw a small car in one and a washing machine in the other. Really cool. Man that washing machine really flew! :tongue2:

1. How do I determine the scale ratio for my trebuchet model?

The scale ratio for your trebuchet model will depend on the size of the real trebuchet you are trying to recreate. Measure the height, width, and length of the real trebuchet and divide each measurement by the desired size of your model. For example, if the real trebuchet is 10 feet tall and you want your model to be 1 foot tall, the scale ratio would be 1:10.

2. What materials should I use to build my trebuchet model?

For a basic trebuchet model, you can use materials such as wood, cardboard, or even popsicle sticks. If you want a more durable and realistic model, you can use materials like balsa wood, plastic, or metal. Make sure to choose materials that are lightweight but strong enough to support the weight of your model.

3. What is the best way to construct the frame of the trebuchet model?

The best way to construct the frame of your trebuchet model is to first draw out a blueprint or plan of your design. Then, use your chosen materials to cut and assemble the frame according to the plan. You can use hot glue, wood glue, or screws to hold the pieces together. Make sure to reinforce any joints or weak points to ensure stability.

4. How can I make the trebuchet arm and sling for my model?

The trebuchet arm can be made from a long, thin piece of wood or metal that is attached to the frame with a pivot point. To create the sling, cut a piece of fabric or leather into a triangle shape and attach it to the arm with string. You can also add a counterweight to the opposite end of the arm for better balance and accuracy.

5. What are some tips for adding realistic details to my trebuchet model?

To add realistic details to your trebuchet model, you can include features such as ropes, pulleys, and wheels. You can also paint the model to match the colors and patterns of a real trebuchet. Additionally, you can add small figurines or props to the model to give it a sense of scale and context.