Exploring Possible Ghostly Anomalies in the Lab

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lab
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea that ghosts may be caused by EM anomalies, and whether or not these anomalies have been replicated in lab experiments. There is mention of a researcher who has been studying the effects of ultra low frequency sound waves on human perception, and the possibility that these waves could induce feelings of being watched or hallucinations. The conversation then moves on to discussing the work of Canadian researcher Dr. Michael Persinger, who suggests that certain medical conditions and imbalances in the brain may be responsible for ghost sightings. There is also mention of the idea that certain locations may have higher levels of EM frequencies due to transient stresses in the bedrock beneath them, which could potentially trigger these conditions. However, the conversation also acknowledges that not
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
with all the suggestions that ghosts are due to some EM
anomaly, possibly even inducing visions directly in the
human brain it should be possible to reproduce these anomalies
in the lab, has any experiment along these lines been carried
out?

Physics news on Phys.org
From my understanding, there’s evidence that says ultra low frequency sound waves can cause a person to feel uneasy and paranoid which could lead to a feeling of being watched or even some mild hallucinations. I think there have been studies to confirm this, where subjects were placed in a darkened room and then subjected to these kinds of sound waves.

As for EM waves though, I have no idea.

wolram said:
with all the suggestions that ghosts are due to some EM
anomaly, possibly even inducing visions directly in the
human brain it should be possible to reproduce these anomalies
in the lab, has any experiment along these lines been carried
out?
There is a Canadian researcher, Dr. Michael Persinger, who has been experimenting with this phenomenon for years.

The notion that things like alien abduction experiences might be caused by anomalous EM fields was a direct result of his work.

I don't believe he has done any work on the notion this may also be responsibe for "ghosts".

Visions of people from the past are a known symptom of simple and complex partial seizures, however, and I guess it's fair to call that an EM phenomenon. If the hallucination occurs in both halves of the visual field, the apparition looks completely real and solid. If it only occurs in one half of the visual field of one eye, it looks "see through" and superimposed on the background, creating a classic "misty ghost" image.

Actually these kinds of seizure hallucinations aren't limited to people from the past. They can be of anyone or any image in the person's memory, and they can also be entirely fictional. I read about one woman who saw small elephants and rhinoceros' running around in circles on the floor in front of her, during her seizures. Another woman I know about hallucinated the image of her little poodle standing on a shelf in the room, when the actual dog was actually in the room, in a different place. This same woman hallucinated the image of her daughter, who was away at college, walking through the room. She also sees many images of people she doesn't particularly recognise.

You can see that if someone were to have this kind of seizure and hallucinate the image of someone they knew who had passed away, they would be quite prone to believe they had seen that person's ghost. I am very inclined to believe that the majority of extremely convincing ghost sightings (where the experiencer is convinced, I mean) are, in fact, this kind of neurological event.

The simple partial seizure, a small, localized incident of hypersynchronous neuronal firing, is almost unknown to the general public who think that a seizure always involves muscular convulsions. However, statistics show that the majority of people will have at least one simple partial seizure during their lives. The common deja vu is an example of a very common kind of simple partial seizure.

It is less common to hallucinate full blown images of people but it happens quite a bit.

There is at least one team of "ghostbusters" I saw on TV who are very careful to check on the background EM levels of any haunted house they investigate, to rule out the possibility of EM triggered simple partial seizures. Persinger, likewise, will not subject anyone with known epilepsy or mental illness to his E fields, and goes out of his way to screen such test candidates out.

Hmm, medical conditions imbalances in the brain, seems a logical answer to single
sightings, but multiple sightings would require a local anomaly to trigger such
conditions, maybe only 1 in a 100 sightings are genuine, it would be interesting
to find out if on certain days and places anomalous EM or sound waves are
apparent.

wolram said:
Hmm, medical conditions imbalances in the brain, seems a logical answer to single
sightings, but multiple sightings would require a local anomaly to trigger such
conditions, maybe only 1 in a 100 sightings are genuine, it would be interesting
to find out if on certain days and places anomalous EM or sound waves are
apparent.
By multiple sightings you mean something like many different people seeing, say, the apparition of Anne Bolyn wandering around the tower over many years?

by ZOOBY
By multiple sightings you mean something like many different people seeing, say, the apparition of Anne Bolyn wandering around the tower over many years?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, i can well imagine that many of these sightings are false
but not all, if say five out of one hundred stood up to scrutiny
then maybe it is the local that is the culprit, and maybe on
certain days depending on unknown conditions anomalies
occur, maybe temperature, humidity, geo activity could
play a part

wolram said:
by ZOOBY
Yes, i can well imagine that many of these sightings are false
but not all, if say five out of one hundred stood up to scrutiny
then maybe it is the local that is the culprit, and maybe on
certain days depending on unknown conditions anomalies
occur, maybe temperature, humidity, geo activity could
play a part
Persinger's main thesis is that there are places that are subject to higher local electric fields and EM requencies due to transient stresses in the bedrock beneath them. He cites the piezo-electric effect: pressure on the rock in one direction causes a voltage to appear at right angles to the direction of stress.

This makes sense to me, but it would be nice to have someone get a really huge chunck of bedrock and test it with some kind of industrial press to see what kinds of pressures you'd have to have to get a field of this strength. I am assuming there would be a reliable way to extrapolate what a whole layer of bedrock would produce from a sample piece.

This makes sense to me, but it would be nice to have someone get a really huge chunck of bedrock and test it with some kind of industrial press to see what kinds of pressures you'd have to have to get a field of this strength. I am assuming there would be a reliable way to extrapolate what a whole layer of bedrock would produce from a sample piece.
someone must have done research in this area ,"geologists", or
anyone involved in sensitive em research, i will have a look on
google.

http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/E/earthlight.html
Laboratory studies have offered a few tantalizing clues. In 1981, at the request of Michael Persinger, Brian Brady of the U.S. Bureau of Mines carried out an experiment in Denver in which a granite core was crushed in darkened conditions and filmed in slow motion. Afterwards, the researchers observed lights on the film, flitting out from the decaying core and moving around the chamber of the rock-crusher.
http://www.whoi.edu/science/AOPE/emworkshop/pdf/EM9.pdf
electric and magnetic field variations associated with the 1999
izmit earthquake.
http://www.virtuallystrange.net/ufo/updates/1997/feb/m10-004.shtml
It had long been noted that unusual lights are often seen around
physical projections within an active region. These include features
such as mountain peaks and ridges, isolated buildings and church
towers or spires, prominent rock outcrops, and transmission towers.
http://www.stanford.edu/dept/news/pr/91/911231Arc1006.html
In 1989, in the days before the Loma Prieta earthquake, Fraser-Smith detected huge radio signals in the ultra-low frequency (ULF) range, 0.01 to 10 hertz, with an instrument placed 7 kilometers from the epicenter.

couldnt find anything specific.

Good research, Wolram.

It is too bad they didn't make some attempt to measure the electric and EM fields around the rock when they were crushing it. They were more interested simply to see if light was produced.

by ZOOBY.
It is too bad they didn't make some attempt to measure the electric and EM fields around the rock when they were crushing it. They were more interested simply to see if light was produced.
I was also interested in the statement about lights around
rock projections, churches etc, and tenuously drew a
connection with marsh lights, I'm unsure how much energy
would be needed to light up a pocket of natural gas,
but it would make a good ghostly image.

1. What are ghostly anomalies?

Ghostly anomalies are unexplained phenomena or events that are believed to be caused by the presence of spirits or ghosts. These can include strange noises, moving objects, apparitions, or changes in temperature or electromagnetic fields.

2. How can ghostly anomalies be explored in a lab setting?

To explore ghostly anomalies in a lab, scientists may use equipment such as EMF meters, temperature sensors, and cameras to monitor and record any unusual activity. They may also conduct controlled experiments to try and recreate reported ghostly phenomena.

3. What are some common factors that may contribute to ghostly anomalies in a lab?

Some common factors that may contribute to ghostly anomalies in a lab include old or abandoned buildings, high levels of electromagnetic energy, and strong emotional or traumatic events that have occurred in the space.

4. How do scientists differentiate between genuine ghostly anomalies and hoaxes or natural explanations?

Scientists use a combination of critical thinking, thorough research, and careful analysis of data to differentiate between genuine ghostly anomalies and hoaxes or natural explanations. They also consider alternative explanations and try to replicate the anomaly in a controlled setting.

5. What are the potential implications of discovering legitimate ghostly anomalies in a lab?

The discovery of legitimate ghostly anomalies in a lab could have significant implications for our understanding of science and the nature of reality. It could also have an impact on our beliefs about the afterlife and the existence of spirits or ghosts. Further research and study may be needed to fully understand the implications of these discoveries.