Eigenvectors of commuting matrices

In summary: COMIn summary, the conversation discusses a proof outlined by Horn and Johnson in their Matrix analysis regarding the relationship between two complex square matrices A and B of order n. They argue that if A and B commute and all eigenvalues of B are distinct, then any eigenvector x of B will also be an eigenvector of B. However, the conversation mentions that it is not clear why Ax cannot be the zero vector. It is mentioned that the 0 vector is in the "eigen space" for any eigenvalue, but it is clarified that the conversation is referring to an eigenvector, not an eigenvalue. It is noted that if Ax is the 0 vector, then it cannot be an eigenvector. The
acarchau
I can't follow an argument in Horn and Johnson's Matrix analysis in a suggestion (actually an outline of a proof) that follows problem 8 following section 1.3 (pg 55 in my copy).

They argue that if A and B are complex square matrices of order n which commute, and if all eigenvalues of B are distinct, then given any eigenvector of B, say x, corresponding to an eigenvalue u, Ax is also an eigenvector of B. This apparently simply follows from the fact that B(Ax)=A(Bx) = u (Ax).

However they skip mentioning why Ax cannot be the zero vector. Is this obvious? I am clearly missing something.

Physics news on Phys.org
There's no reason why Ax can't be zero: if you pick A = 0, then clearly A and B commute, but Ax is zero.

Right. That is a simple counterexample.

Are you talking about eigenvalue 0 or eigenvector 0?

Typically, we say that an "eigenvalue" is a NON-ZERO vector such that [itex]Ax= \lambda x[/itex] simply because [itex]A0= \lambda 0[/itex] for any linear transformation A and any number [itex]\lambda[/itex]. Of course, the 0 vector is in the "eigen space" for any eigenvalue.

I meant an eigenvector. My problem was with the claim [itex]Ax[/itex] was an eigenvector of [itex]B[/itex] when [itex]x[/itex] was an eigenvector of [itex]B[/itex], even though it was not obvious to me why [itex]Ax[/itex] was not the zero vector.

Well if Ax is the 0 vector then it cannot be an eigenvector. I think they did forget to mention that possibility, but you managed to figure it out anyway.

What are eigenvectors of commuting matrices?

Eigenvectors of commuting matrices are a set of vectors that do not change direction when multiplied by a specific matrix. In other words, when a matrix is multiplied by one of its eigenvectors, the resulting vector is a scalar multiple of the original eigenvector.

Why are eigenvectors of commuting matrices important?

Eigenvectors of commuting matrices are important because they provide a simple way to understand and analyze linear transformations. They also have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

How do you find eigenvectors of commuting matrices?

To find eigenvectors of commuting matrices, you first need to find the eigenvalues of each matrix. Then, for each eigenvalue, you need to solve a system of linear equations to find the corresponding eigenvector. This can be done using methods such as Gaussian elimination or matrix diagonalization.

What is the relationship between eigenvectors of commuting matrices?

Eigenvectors of commuting matrices have a unique relationship in that they can be simultaneously diagonalized. This means that there exists a basis of eigenvectors that can be used to transform both matrices into diagonal matrices. This property makes it easier to analyze and solve problems involving these matrices.

Can eigenvectors of commuting matrices have complex values?

Yes, eigenvectors of commuting matrices can have complex values. This is because eigenvalues and eigenvectors can be complex numbers, and commuting matrices can have complex entries. In fact, complex eigenvectors are often used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles.