Stellar Formation, Life, Death - Temp, Radius, Luminosity

In summary, the temperature of a star is directly proportional to its radius, the mass of a star affects the temperature of its core, the luminosity of a star is related to its lifespan, and the spectral lines can determine if a star is a first generation or later generation star.
Rallyette
How does the temperature of a star relate to the radius of a star?
How does the mass of a star affect the temperature of the star's core?
How does the luminosity of a star relate to how long a star will live?
How do the spectral lines of a star determine if the star is a first generation star or a later generation star?

I'm looking for the most short and sweet answer to each so I can understand the relationships and remember them. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rallyette said:
I'm looking for the most short and sweet answer to each so I can understand the relationships and remember them.
Welcome to PF. But that is not the way this board works. You have to show us what you have done and we will help you.

AM

It's ok, I got a 94/100 on my final exam last night. I was just looking for some black and white confirmation.

How does the temperature of a star relate to the radius of a star?
The hotter the star the bigger the radius is.

How does the mass of a star affect the temperature of the star's core?
The more massive a star is the more gravity it has, therefore the hotter the core is.

How does the luminosity of a star relate to how long a star will live?
Greater luminosity means more massive star which means it will form quicker and die faster.

How do the spectral lines of a star determine if the star is a first generation star or a later generation star?
If the spectral lines show only H and He makeup then it is a pop II star and must be first generation.
If the spectral lines show heavier elements than just H and He, it is a pop I star and must be a later generation star.

What is stellar formation?

Stellar formation is the process by which a star is born from a cloud of gas and dust. This typically occurs in regions of space where the density of gas and dust is high enough for gravity to overcome the outward pressure, causing the material to collapse and form a protostar.

How does a star's temperature affect its life and death?

A star's temperature is a crucial factor in determining its life and death. A higher temperature means the star is more massive and will have a shorter lifespan due to burning through its fuel at a faster rate. A lower temperature star will have a longer lifespan, but may not be able to generate enough heat and pressure to undergo nuclear fusion and become a full-fledged star.

What is the relationship between a star's radius and its luminosity?

The radius and luminosity of a star are directly related. A larger radius star will have a higher luminosity, as it is able to emit more energy from its larger surface area. Conversely, a smaller radius star will have a lower luminosity.

How do scientists measure the temperature, radius, and luminosity of stars?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to measure the temperature, radius, and luminosity of stars. These include spectroscopy, which analyzes the wavelengths of light emitted by a star to determine its temperature and chemical composition, and photometry, which measures the brightness of a star to determine its luminosity and can also be used to estimate its radius.

What happens to a star when it dies?

When a star runs out of fuel, it can no longer generate enough heat and pressure to sustain nuclear fusion. Depending on its mass, a star may go through a series of phases as it dies, such as expanding into a red giant, shedding its outer layers to become a planetary nebula, and eventually collapsing into a white dwarf or exploding in a supernova.