Is there a relationship between

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation f(x) = f(x) and the addition of two independent real-valued variables, a and b, to the equation. It is stated that either a is a function of b and x or b is a function of a and x, making the statement true at all times. The conversation then goes on to find the values of a' and b', which are determined to be reciprocals of each other. However, it is noted that they do not readily cancel out.
epkid08
Let's say I setup the equation:

[tex] f(x) = f(x) [/tex]

Now, let's say I add two independent real-valued variables, a and b, to the equation, where either a is a function of b and x or b is a function of a and x, making the statement true at all times:

[tex] f(x) = af(x+b)[/tex]

Finding a' and b' we have:

[tex] a' = -\frac{f'(x+b)f(x)}{f(x+b)^2}[/tex]

[tex] b' = -f^{-1}'(\frac{f(x)}{a})\frac{f(x)}{a}[/tex]

My question is, is there a distinct relationship between a' and b'?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think I got it, they are reciprocals, but they don't readily cancel out.

Is there a relationship between diet and heart disease?

Yes, there is a well-established relationship between diet and heart disease. Consuming a diet high in saturated fats, trans fats, and cholesterol has been linked to an increased risk of heart disease. On the other hand, a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins has been shown to lower the risk of heart disease.

Is there a relationship between exercise and weight loss?

Yes, there is a strong relationship between exercise and weight loss. Regular physical activity can help burn calories and increase metabolism, which can lead to weight loss. Additionally, exercise can help build muscle mass, which also contributes to weight loss. However, it is important to note that a balanced diet is also crucial for successful weight loss.

Is there a relationship between smoking and cancer?

Yes, there is a well-established relationship between smoking and cancer. Tobacco smoke contains numerous harmful chemicals that can damage cells and lead to cancer. According to the American Cancer Society, smoking is responsible for nearly one-third of all cancer deaths in the United States.

Is there a relationship between stress and physical health?

Yes, there is a strong relationship between stress and physical health. Chronic stress can lead to a variety of health problems, including high blood pressure, heart disease, and depression. Additionally, stress can weaken the immune system and make individuals more susceptible to illnesses.

Is there a relationship between genetics and disease?

Yes, there is a relationship between genetics and disease. Certain genetic mutations can increase an individual's risk of developing certain diseases, such as breast cancer or Alzheimer's disease. However, it is important to note that genetics are not the sole determining factor for disease and lifestyle choices also play a significant role.