Books for advanced high school students

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for good textbooks or problem books for 9th and 10th grade students in subjects such as Euclidean geometry, Algebra 1 and 2, and Trigonometry. The suggested books are Algebra and Trigonometry by Gelfand, Geometry Revisited by Coxeter, and Kiselev's Geometry (both I and II). These books are aimed at 9th and 10th grade students and are more challenging than average high school math books. Additionally, the MAA publishes books that are aimed towards adept high school students.
Geometrick
Hi,

I'm looking for good textbooks or problem books for a 9 and 10th grade students. Maybe not as difficult as the AMC or IMO level math, but some problems that require some thought rather than just plug and chug formulas. For example, I want to find a good problem set for trig proofs, and some of the textbooks I am looking in only have a few problems or none of them are too hard (i.e. they involve 2 steps at most).

This is mainly for Euclidean geometry, Algebra 1 and 2 and Trig.

Physics news on Phys.org
Algebra, Trigonometry, are two books by Gelfand.

Geometry Revisited by Coxeter.

They are both hard and aimed at grades 9-10.

Kiselev's Geometry (both I and II) are good geometry books for both planar euclidean and 3D geometry.

They're both concise but they contain more details than the average joe high school math book.

http://www.sumizdat.org/

also you might want to look at books published by MAA. A lot of them are aimed towards adept high school students, and the materials are a tad bit harder, but are doable.

1. What types of books are recommended for advanced high school students?

Advanced high school students can benefit from a variety of books, including classical literature, contemporary fiction, biographies, and non-fiction books on subjects such as history, science, and philosophy. It is important for students to read books that challenge their thinking and expand their knowledge.

2. How do I choose books that are appropriate for my advanced high school student?

When selecting books for advanced high school students, it is important to consider their interests and reading level. Look for books with complex themes and advanced vocabulary that will challenge them. It can also be helpful to consult with teachers or librarians for recommendations.

3. Are there any specific authors or titles that are highly recommended for advanced high school students?

Some popular authors for advanced high school students include William Shakespeare, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Harper Lee, Jane Austen, and George Orwell. Popular titles for this age group may include To Kill a Mockingbird, 1984, The Great Gatsby, and Pride and Prejudice.

4. Can advanced high school students read books that are typically considered "adult" literature?

It is important for parents and teachers to use discretion when allowing advanced high school students to read adult literature. While some books may contain mature themes and content, they can also provide valuable insights and discussions for students. It is important to consider the individual student's maturity level before allowing them to read these types of books.

5. Are there any educational benefits to reading books for advanced high school students?

Reading books for advanced high school students can provide numerous educational benefits. It can improve critical thinking skills, expand vocabulary, and foster a deeper understanding of complex themes and ideas. Reading also helps to develop empathy and cultural awareness, which are important skills for students to have as they prepare for college and the workforce.