Help -interpreting- this topology question, no actual work required

In summary, the conversation is discussing a homework question which asks to show that the set of continuous functions that map rational numbers to rational numbers is dense in the set of all continuous functions from [0,1] to the real numbers. The participants also clarify that the set being dense refers to the set of continuous functions from [0,1] to the real numbers.
Mathmos6

Homework Statement

Show that the set S ⊆ C[0, 1] consisting of continuous functions which map Q to Q is dense, where the metric on C[0, 1] is defined by d(f,g) = max |f(x)−g(x)|.

All else I need to know is what the question doesn't mention - what the set is dense in? I assume it doesn't mean dense in itself since it probably wouldn't bother giving a specific space then, so do you think it means the set of continuous R->R functions on [0,1] or all R->R functions on [0,1], or what? Just need to actually understand what it means before I can get going - thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sure they mean dense in C[0,1], the set of all continuous functions from [0,1]->R.

Dick said:
I'm sure they mean dense in C[0,1], the set of all continuous functions from [0,1]->R.

Once again Dick, thanks for all the help, you're a lifesaver!

What is topology?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of the properties of space that are preserved under continuous deformations, such as stretching, bending, and twisting.

What does it mean to "interpret" a topology question?

Interpreting a topology question means to understand the given information, identify the relevant concepts and techniques, and use them to solve the problem.

Why is no actual work required for this topology question?

Some topology questions may require actual calculations or proofs, but others may simply ask for an interpretation or explanation of a given scenario or concept. In this case, no actual work is required because the focus is on understanding and explaining, rather than solving a problem.

What are some common techniques used in topology?

Some common techniques used in topology include the use of topological spaces, continuous functions, open and closed sets, and topological properties such as connectedness, compactness, and continuity.

How is topology used in other fields of science?

Topology has many applications in various fields of science, including physics, computer science, chemistry, biology, and engineering. It is used to study the properties of complex systems, analyze data, and solve problems in a wide range of disciplines.