Calculate Initial Magnitude B of Uniform Magnetic Field

In summary, we have a conducting loop with an area of 0.065 m^2, positioned at a 60 degree angle relative to a uniform magnetic field. As the magnitude of the magnetic field decreases to 0.30 T in 0.087 seconds, the average induced emf in the loop is 1.2V. To calculate the initial magnitude of the magnetic field, we use the equation ε = -∆Ф/∆t and solve for B(i) to get a value of 1.9 T. This problem assumes a constant magnetic field and no change in θ.
golriz
A conducting loop has an area of A=0.065 m^2 and is positioned such that a uniform magnetic field points at θ = 60 degrees relative to the plane of the loop. When the magnitude of the magnetic field decreases to B(f) = 0.30 T in ∆t = 0.087s , the average induced emf in the loop is average ε= 1.2V. Calculate the initial magnitude B(i) of the magnetic field.

ε = -∆Ф/∆t = -( ABcosθf - ABcosθi )/∆t
1.2 = - 0.065( B(f) - B(i) )/0.087 = - 0.065( 0.30 - B(i) )/ 0.087
B(i) = 1.9 T

I think since in the question is said a uniform magnetic field so "B" should be constant and θ should change.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, uniform simply means that at any given moment, B and θ are the same at all points in space. They can both change with time (although in this problem I see nothing to indicate that θ changes).

1. How do you calculate the initial magnitude B of a uniform magnetic field?

The initial magnitude B of a uniform magnetic field can be calculated using the formula B = μ0 * n * I, where μ0 is the permeability constant, n is the number of turns of the wire, and I is the current flowing through the wire.

2. What is the value of the permeability constant μ0?

The permeability constant μ0, also known as the vacuum permeability or magnetic constant, has a value of approximately 4π * 10^-7 N/A^2. It is a fundamental physical constant that relates the strength of a magnetic field to the electric current causing it.

3. How does changing the number of turns of the wire affect the initial magnitude B of a uniform magnetic field?

The initial magnitude B of a uniform magnetic field is directly proportional to the number of turns of the wire. This means that increasing the number of turns will result in a stronger magnetic field, while decreasing the number of turns will result in a weaker magnetic field.

4. Can the initial magnitude B of a uniform magnetic field be negative?

No, the initial magnitude B of a uniform magnetic field cannot be negative. Magnitude is a measure of the size or strength of a quantity, and it cannot have a negative value. However, the direction of the magnetic field can be negative if it is pointed in the opposite direction of the conventional current flow.

5. What is the unit of measurement for the initial magnitude B of a uniform magnetic field?

The initial magnitude B of a uniform magnetic field is measured in tesla (T) or gauss (G). 1 T is equal to 10^4 G, and both units are commonly used to express the strength of a magnetic field.