Finding 4 points in a plane, when random points given

In summary, the conversation discusses finding four points on a plane in a 3D quadrilateral. The suggested method involves counting the normal vector and using the cross product, but it is time-consuming. The desired solution is to find four points that make up the base of the quadrilateral, all falling in the same plane. The solution is referred to as ABDC, with A representing the first point and D representing the fourth point.
soopo

Homework Statement

Points (-3, -1, 4), (0, -1, -2), (2, 5, 1), (3, 2, 7) and (5, 1, -2) are the vertexes of an 3D quadrilateral.
Find four points which are on a plane in the 3D quadrilateral.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that you can find the points by counting the normal vector of two given vectors and then multiplying this with the given vector, not one in the cross product. If the dot product is zero for each vector, then you have found the plane.

However, this takes many steps to count.

The correct answer to the question is apparently ABDC.

How can you find efficiently the plane?

Physics news on Phys.org
is that exactly how the question is written? it seems a little ambiguous...

coudl it be wihch 4 vertices fall in a plane?

and what are ABDC?

lanedance said:
is that exactly how the question is written? it seems a little ambiguous...

coudl it be wihch 4 vertices fall in a plane?

and what are ABDC?

4 vertices fall in a plane.
A refers to the first point in the exercise, B to the second, ... D to the fourth and so on.

i still don't get it, doesn't a quadrilateral only have 4 sides & vertices?

but you could do it the way you suggest, though a little tedious

i think i get it now, its a quadrilateral base with another point, find which 4 points make the base, all falling in a plane?

lanedance said:
i think i get it now, its a quadrilateral base with another point, find which 4 points make the base, all falling in a plane?

Exactly. This is what I mean and trying to find a faster way than the one which I proposed in my question to find the four points in the plane.

1. How can I find 4 points in a plane when random points are given?

There are a few different methods for finding 4 points in a plane when random points are given. One approach is to use a coordinate system and plot the points on a graph, and then use geometry to determine which 4 points create a plane. Another approach is to use algebraic equations and solve for the points that satisfy the equation for a plane.

2. Is it possible to have more than one solution for finding 4 points in a plane with random points?

Yes, it is possible to have more than one solution when finding 4 points in a plane with random points. Depending on the given points, there may be multiple planes that can be formed with 4 of those points. It is important to carefully consider the given points and the desired outcome when solving for the 4 points in a plane.

3. What is the minimum number of points needed to determine a unique plane?

The minimum number of points needed to determine a unique plane is 3. Any 3 non-collinear points on a plane can uniquely define that plane. Adding a 4th point can help to further specify the orientation or location of the plane, but it is not necessary to determine a unique plane.

4. Can I use a computer program to find 4 points in a plane when random points are given?

Yes, computer programs can be used to find 4 points in a plane when random points are given. There are many mathematical software programs that have built-in functions for solving for points in a plane, or you can write your own code to solve for the points using a specific algorithm or method.

5. Are there any real-world applications for finding 4 points in a plane with random points?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for finding 4 points in a plane with random points. This problem is often encountered in fields such as engineering, architecture, and computer graphics, where precise measurements and coordinates are needed to create and design structures or objects. It can also be used in navigation systems and GPS technology to determine the location and orientation of an airplane or satellite.