Does spacetime could curved in a square way ?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether spacetime can be curved in a "square way" due to the presence of a square mass object in the universe. It is mentioned that this is impossible and the theory of general relativity is defined on a smooth manifold, making it incompatible with a square-shaped object. However, it is also noted that GR can be applied to any shape of object and the curvature of spacetime would be influenced by the shape. Ultimately, it is concluded that while a perfectly square object may not exist in reality, any measurement of spacetime curvature would be influenced by its shape.
hamilton00989
Does spacetime could curved in a "square way"?

Suppose there is a square mass object in the universe (I know its impossible, but suppose...).
Does spacetime will curved in a "square way"?
I believe that not as GR is defined on a smooth manifold.
Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org

hamilton00989 said:
Suppose there is a square mass object in the universe (I know its impossible, but suppose...).
Does spacetime will curved in a "square way"?
I believe that not as GR is defined on a smooth manifold.
Am I right?
When you start off by postulating an impossible situation there is no point in asking what GR would say- it would say "that is impossible"!

What exactly is impossible about a square mass object?

You mean a massive cube, right? Or a very flat square pancake? In any case, you can apply GR to any shape of object, the distortion of space-time at a distance will be about the same as for a spherical object, but closer by the curvature will be influenced by the shape. Nothing stops you from simply integrating over the volume, I don't see the problem.

Of course a real object can't be perfectly square, since atoms are sort of round, but even if it was, any measurement of space-time curvature would be at some non-zero distance from the object, so everything already starts smoothing out a bit, and there will be no discontinuities. Is that the answer you were looking for?

Yes, this is the answer I have been looking for.
Thanks a lot!

1. Can spacetime be curved in a square way?

Yes, according to Einstein's theory of general relativity, spacetime can be curved in any way, including a square shape.

2. How does spacetime curvature affect the movement of objects?

Spacetime curvature determines the path that objects follow in the presence of a gravitational field. Objects will move along the shortest path possible in the curved spacetime geometry.

3. Is the curvature of spacetime the same in all directions?

No, the curvature of spacetime can vary in different directions. In a square-shaped curvature, the curvature will be different along each side of the square.

4. Can we see the curvature of spacetime?

No, we cannot directly see the curvature of spacetime. However, we can observe its effects on the movement of objects and the bending of light around massive objects.

5. How does the concept of spacetime curvature relate to gravity?

According to general relativity, gravity is not a force between masses, but rather the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass. The more massive an object is, the greater the curvature of spacetime and the stronger its gravitational pull.