Can Einstein's theory explain the search for the Higgs Boson at LHC?

In summary, the layman is having a problem understanding the search for the Higgs Boson at the LHC. The expert explains that all mass is simply energy, and that by smashing waves together we can create new waves that usually don't last long. The Higgs theory is part of quantum theory, which is much more recent than special relativity.
rlinsurf
As a layman, I'm having a problem with understanding the search at LHC for the Higgs Boson.

As I understand Einstein, all mass is nothing but energy. In that case, why are we looking for a particle which imbues mass?

For example, in Rutherford's experiment, at least in my mind's eye, when I apply Einstein, the result is because photons are neither particles or waves, but higher concentrations of energy moving in and with a field of lower concentrations of energy. I.e., light is neither a particle or wave, it is the universe waving.

That seems like a good way to understand Einstein. In that case, using a collider would naturally produce new particles never seen. If you smash two waves together you get new waves. And the harder you smash them, the mores waves you would produce. So wouldn't it then follow that we're simply seeing the potential of the universe to produce all kinds of exotic waves -- that usually don't last long -- by our producing them?

It seems like this isn't just an adjustment to Einstein, but an abandonment. So obviously, I'm missing some basic principle which allows both theories to coexist?

Physics news on Phys.org
Special relativity describes the conversion of mass to energy. However material stuff has rest mass (which is what is usually called mass) and the Higgs particle is part of a theory which explains where this mass comes from.

I always thought it also described the conversion of energy to mass. Wasn't that his larger point? That all matter is simply highly cohesive energy in space-time?

rlinsurf said:
I always thought it also described the conversion of energy to mass. Wasn't that his larger point? That all matter is simply highly cohesive energy in space-time?
Special relativity gives the relationship between mass and energy, when either is converted to the other. This theory (Einstein) dates from 1905.

The Higgs theory (due to Higgs) is much more recent. It is part of quantum theory.

Ok. Thanks.

1. What is the Higgs Boson and why is it important in physics?

The Higgs Boson is a subatomic particle that was first theorized by Peter Higgs and others in the 1960s. It is important in physics because it is believed to be responsible for giving mass to all other particles in the universe.

2. How was the Higgs Boson discovered?

The Higgs Boson was discovered in 2012 by the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN. Scientists used high-energy particle collisions to recreate the conditions of the early universe and observe the Higgs Boson.

3. What is the significance of Einstein's theory of relativity?

Einstein's theory of relativity revolutionized our understanding of space and time. It is comprised of two parts: special relativity, which describes the physics of objects moving at constant speeds, and general relativity, which explains the effects of gravity on the curvature of space-time.

4. How does the Higgs Boson relate to Einstein's theory of relativity?

The Higgs Boson is a key piece of the Standard Model of particle physics, which is a theory that describes the fundamental particles and forces in the universe. It is also consistent with Einstein's theory of relativity, as it helps explain the origin of mass and the behavior of particles at high energies.

5. Is the Higgs Boson the final piece of the puzzle in understanding the universe?

No, the discovery of the Higgs Boson was a major breakthrough in particle physics, but there are still many unanswered questions about the universe. Scientists are still searching for a theory that can unite the four fundamental forces of nature and explain phenomena such as dark matter and dark energy.