Books on Neuroscience: Consciousness, Altered States, Hallucinations

In summary, the conversation revolved around the movie "Altered States" which explores the concept of consciousness through the use of hallucinogenics and sensory deprivation. The participants discussed their interest in this subject and recommended books such as "The Doors of Perception" and "I Am A Strange Loop" for further reading. They also mentioned the website Erowid as a source of information on altered states of consciousness.
arkturus
Hey guys, I just finished watching the movie http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altered_States" [Broken]. As a movie, it wasn't bad, but it was the subject matter that really interested me. The main character is trying to find out what exactly consciousnesses is using hallucinogenics and a float tank, and eventually becomes the very beginning of what consciousnesses is.

Anyway, I'm looking for some books on this sort of thing. Obviously not general neuroscience, but stuff related to consciousness, altered states of consciousness, sense deprivation, hallucinations, etc etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
As a jumping off point, you might look here: http://www.erowid.org/

I don't endorse these practices, but it contains some very interesting material and links.

Check out Aldous Huxley's "The Doors of Perception" for hallucinogen (mescaline) information.

I just started reading "I Am A Strange Loop" by Douglas Hofstadter and I have to highly recommend it. He has a physics background, breaking the ideas behind neuroscience and our understanding of our self and all that exists around us to their smallest units. It's very straightforward while still being engaging. Definitely worth taking a look.

1. What topics are typically covered in books on neuroscience about consciousness?

Books on neuroscience about consciousness typically cover topics such as the neuronal basis of consciousness, the role of brain regions in consciousness, the relationship between consciousness and the self, and theories of consciousness.

2. Are there any books specifically about altered states of consciousness?

Yes, there are many books that focus specifically on altered states of consciousness, including topics such as meditation, hypnosis, psychedelic experiences, and states induced by certain drugs.

3. Do books on neuroscience about hallucinations only focus on drug-induced hallucinations?

No, books on neuroscience about hallucinations also cover other types of hallucinations, including those that occur in psychiatric disorders such as schizophrenia and neurological conditions like Parkinson's disease.

4. Can reading books on neuroscience about consciousness and altered states help me understand my own experiences?

Yes, reading books on neuroscience about consciousness and altered states can provide valuable insights and understanding into your own experiences, as well as the experiences of others.

5. Are there any recommended books on neuroscience about consciousness and altered states for beginners?

Yes, there are many accessible books on neuroscience about consciousness and altered states that are suitable for beginners. Some recommendations include "The Altered States of Consciousness" by Charles Tart, "The Self Illusion: How the Social Brain Creates Identity" by Bruce Hood, and "How to Change Your Mind: What the New Science of Psychedelics Teaches Us About Consciousness, Dying, Addiction, Depression, and Transcendence" by Michael Pollan.