Find parametric equations and symmetric equations for the line

In summary, to find the parametric and symmetric equations for a line through a point and perpendicular to two given vectors, set the cross product of the two vectors equal to t and solve for x, y, and z in the symmetric equations. The parametric equations can then be found by setting the fractions in the symmetric equations equal to t.
sonutulsiani

Homework Statement

Find parametric equations and symmetric equations for the line through P0 and perpendicular to both given vectors. (P0 corresponds to t = 0.)
P0 = (1, 1, 0)
i + j and j + k

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the symmetric equations, I did this:

(i + j) x (j + k) = k - j + i = <1,-1,1>.

So, the symmetric equations are given by
(x - 1)/1 = (y - 1)/(-1) = (z - 0)/1.

I don't know how to find parametric equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it 1+t, 1-t and t?

Just set each fraction in your symmetric form equal to t and solve for x, y, and z, respectively. You should have x, y, and z in your equations with t.

What are parametric equations for a line?

Parametric equations for a line are equations that describe the coordinates of points on the line in terms of one or more parameters. They are typically in the form of x = x0 + at and y = y0 + bt, where x0 and y0 are the coordinates of a point on the line and a and b are the parameters.

What are symmetric equations for a line?

Symmetric equations for a line are equations that describe the line in terms of its distance (d) from the origin and the angle (θ) that the line makes with the positive x-axis. They are typically in the form of x cos θ + y sin θ = d.

How do I find parametric equations for a line?

To find parametric equations for a line, you need to know the coordinates of a point on the line and the direction of the line. You can then use the general form of parametric equations (x = x0 + at and y = y0 + bt) and plug in the values to find the specific equations for the line.

How do I find symmetric equations for a line?

To find symmetric equations for a line, you need to know the distance (d) from the origin to the line and the angle (θ) that the line makes with the positive x-axis. You can then use the general form of symmetric equations (x cos θ + y sin θ = d) and plug in the values to find the specific equations for the line.

Can I convert between parametric equations and symmetric equations for a line?

Yes, it is possible to convert between parametric equations and symmetric equations for a line. To convert from parametric equations to symmetric equations, you can use the distance formula and the trigonometric identity cos2 θ + sin2 θ = 1. To convert from symmetric equations to parametric equations, you can use the formulas x = d cos θ and y = d sin θ.