Electric Field between two metal plates

In summary, the problem involves two square metal plates with sides of length 0.750 m and a distance of 2.34 cm between them. One plate has a charge of +2.70 x 10^-3 Coulombs, while the other has a charge of -Q. To find the electric field between the plates, the equation for the electric field of a sheet is used and then multiplied by 2 to account for both plates. The distance between the plates is small enough to use the approximation of an infinite plane.
skibum143

Homework Statement

Two square metal plates are placed parallel to each other, separated by a distance d= 2.34 cm. The plates have sides of length L= 0.750 m. One of the plates has charge Q=+ 2.70 x10-3 Coulombs, while the other plate has charge -Q. What is the magnitude of the electric field between the plates, not close to the edge?

Homework Equations

C = AE0 / d
E = kQ/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to find the capacatance of the plates, but I don't know how to translate that to the electric field?
I tried to just use kQ/r, but that was incorrect. I'm not sure where I'm going wrong, could someone help?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello skibum143,

E = kQ/r won't help you with this problem. That equation is more akin to the electric field for a line (wire) charge. You should start with an equation that applies to the electric field of a uniformly charged plate (plane). If you can't find one, you can use Guass' law to derive it for an infinite plane, and use that as an approximation here. Then use superposition to combine the respective electric fields of each plate.

If I use the equation for the E field of a sheet, it's Esheet = sigma (q/area) / 2E0.
If I do 2 * the answer for the two sheets, I get 5.4E8 N/C.

However, don't I need to factor in the distance between the plates? I'm not sure how to do that...

skibum143 said:
If I use the equation for the E field of a sheet, it's Esheet = sigma (q/area) / 2E0.
If I do 2 * the answer for the two sheets, I get 5.4E8 N/C.

However, don't I need to factor in the distance between the plates? I'm not sure how to do that...

The distance between the plates is small compared to the length of each side of the plates. That means the approximation of using an infinite plane should be pretty good in the region "between the plates, not close to the edge."

I see! Thank you for your help!

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region around a charged particle or object in which other charged particles experience a force. It is a fundamental concept in physics and is often represented by electric field lines.

How is an electric field created between two metal plates?

An electric field is created between two metal plates when one plate is positively charged and the other is negatively charged. This creates an imbalance of electric charges, causing a force to act on any charged particles in the area between the plates.

What is the direction of the electric field between two metal plates?

The direction of the electric field between two metal plates is always from the positively charged plate to the negatively charged plate. This is because positive charges repel each other and negative charges attract each other.

How does the distance between the two metal plates affect the strength of the electric field?

The strength of the electric field between two metal plates is inversely proportional to the distance between the plates. This means that as the distance between the plates increases, the electric field strength decreases.

Can the electric field between two metal plates be manipulated?

Yes, the electric field between two metal plates can be manipulated by changing the distance between the plates or by changing the amount of charge on each plate. This can be done using external sources, such as a battery or power supply.