Galois Theory - Algebraic extensions

• Thread starter adavies
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theory
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between algebraic field extensions and whether a field extension is necessarily algebraic. The tower law is mentioned and it is noted that if both M/L and M/K are finite extensions, then M/K is also a finite extension and thus algebraic. The possibility of one or both being infinite is considered, with the mention of algebraic closures of rationals. The idea of an element being algebraic over a field and using the tower law to show that it is algebraic over a larger field is proposed.
adavies

Homework Statement

Let M/L and L/K be algebraic field extensions. Is M/K necessarily algebraic?

Homework Equations

Tower law: [M:K]=[M:L][L:K]

The Attempt at a Solution

If both M/L and M/K are finite extensions then by the tower law M/K is also a finite extension, hence is algebraic. So one or both of them must be infinite. The only infinite algebraic extensions I can think of are similar in construction to the algebraic closure of the rationals.
An element [tex]m \in M[/tex] is algebraic over L so we can write [tex]\sum a_{i}m^i=0[/tex] for some [tex]a_i \in L[/tex], where i runs from 0 to some n. Might be able to use the fact that L/K is algebraic now?

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have now singled out an element m and want to show that it's algebraic over K. Consider the tower:
[tex]K \subseteq K(a_1,\ldots,a_n) \subseteq K(a_1,\ldots,a_n,m)[/tex]
You can show that m is algebraic over [itex]K(a_1,\ldots,a_n)[/itex] and you should therefore be able to get back to your finite case.

Funnily enough I was just working via this argument on paper to see whether I could delete the thread. At least now I know I was on the right lines, thanks very much!

1. What is Galois Theory?

Galois Theory is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic extensions of fields, which are mathematical structures that generalize the concept of numbers. It focuses on the relationship between the roots of a polynomial equation and the symmetries of its solutions.

2. What are algebraic extensions?

An algebraic extension is an extension of a field in which every element is a root of a polynomial with coefficients in the original field. In other words, an algebraic extension is obtained by adjoining the roots of a polynomial to the original field.

3. Who is Évariste Galois and why is he important in Galois Theory?

Évariste Galois was a French mathematician who lived in the 19th century. He is considered the founder of Galois Theory due to his groundbreaking work on the subject. Galois made significant contributions to the understanding of algebraic equations and is known for his development of the concept of a Galois group.

4. What is a Galois group?

A Galois group is a mathematical group that represents the symmetries of the roots of a polynomial equation. It is a crucial concept in Galois Theory as it allows us to determine the solvability of a polynomial equation and to classify its roots.

5. How is Galois Theory applied in other areas of mathematics?

Galois Theory has applications in various fields of mathematics, including number theory, algebraic geometry, and cryptography. It also plays a significant role in understanding the structure of certain mathematical objects, such as finite fields and group extensions.