Relativistic Electrodynamics

In summary, the question is whether a purely electric field in one frame of reference can transform into a purely magnetic field in another frame of reference. The initial instinct is to say yes, as the electric field may not appear to change in a moving reference frame, but upon changing to a stationary reference frame, both electric and magnetic fields are observed. However, the question asks for a "pure" magnetic field and a "pure" electric field, which can only be achieved if a quantity that is invariant under Lorentz transforms is formed using E and B. Intuitive reasoning may be misleading in this case.
BMC
Hey guys,

I couldn't find a question like this elsewhere on the forum so hopefully I'm not repeating what someone has already asked.

Can a purely electric field in one inertial frame of reference transform into a purely magnetic field in another? Explain

--

My initial instinct was to say yes. Because if you're in the reference frame of the wave (i.e. you can't see the propagating electric field because you're moving with it), there's no subsequent magnetic field in your reference frame because the the electric field ins't changing with respect to time...

Then when you change your reference frame to not moving with the wave (you're stationary, watching the wave move past) you'd be able to see both the electric and magnetic field propagating because you'd be seeing the electric field changing with respect to time and the subsequent magnetic field being produced.

I however realized i wasn't reading the question correctly. It asks for a "pure" magnetic field and then a "pure" electric field upon a change of inertial reference frame.

Can anyone think of a situation where this happens?

Physics news on Phys.org
Intuitive reasonings can be misleading...

Hint: Can you think of a quantity that you can fom using E and B that stays invariant under Lorentz transforms?

1. What is Relativistic Electrodynamics?

Relativistic Electrodynamics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in the presence of relative motion between the observer and the charged particles. It is based on the principles of Special Relativity and Maxwell's equations of electromagnetism.

2. How is Relativistic Electrodynamics different from classical Electrodynamics?

Relativistic Electrodynamics takes into account the effects of Special Relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, which are not considered in classical Electrodynamics. It also introduces the concept of a four-vector for describing electromagnetic fields and the Lorentz force law.

3. What are the implications of Relativistic Electrodynamics?

Relativistic Electrodynamics has many implications, including the unification of electric and magnetic fields into a single electromagnetic field, the explanation of the constancy of the speed of light, and the prediction of phenomena such as time dilation and length contraction.

4. How is Relativistic Electrodynamics used in practical applications?

Relativistic Electrodynamics is used in many practical applications, such as particle accelerators, nuclear reactors, and GPS systems. It is also used in the development of new technologies, such as laser technology and medical imaging.

5. What are some current research topics in Relativistic Electrodynamics?

Current research in Relativistic Electrodynamics includes the study of high-energy particle collisions, the behavior of electromagnetic fields in extreme conditions, and the application of Relativistic Electrodynamics to cosmology and astrophysics. Other topics of interest include the development of new theoretical frameworks and experimental techniques for studying Relativistic Electrodynamics.