Bra-Ket Operation: Multiplying Equation by |psi1>

• Thread starter ian2012
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bra-ket
In summary, the conversation discussed the properties and operations of bra-ket algebra, specifically in relation to linear operators and inner products. The use of eigenvalue equations and the linearity of operators were also mentioned. The conversation ultimately concluded with the recommendation to consult texts such as Sakurai's Principles of Quantum Mechanics for a more thorough understanding of these concepts.
ian2012
I have a basic question that I have overlooked in the past, given that you have
<psi2|A = lamda2<psi2|, where <| is a bra and lamda2 is the eigenvalue. If you were to multiply the equation by |psi1>, why do you get <psi2|A|psi1> = lamda2<psi2|psi1> and not |psi1><psi2|A = lamda2|psi1><psi2| ? Wouldn't the former defeat the purpose of operator algebra?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on from what side you multiplied |psi1> on your expression.
This is similar to multiplying of columns and rows in matrix algebra :smile:

For example,
|psi1> *| <psi2|A = lamda2<psi2| => |psi1><psi2|A = lamda2|psi1><psi2| ;

<psi2|A = lamda2<psi2| | *|psi1> => <psi2|A|psi1> = lamda2<psi2|psi1> ;

Okay, I didn't know you can multiply it from both sides. I know that A is a matrix, but the bra's and ket's are just vectors.. and i know that the matrix A can be found using the orthonormal basis, but i can't seem to make sense of it.

Do you know of a website or (intuitive) method i can use to learn the properties of bra-ket algebra? How did you learn it, for instance?

To put it formally:
Every isolated physical system has associated with it a complex inner product
space or Hilbert Space. This is known as its state space. A
complete description of the system is given by its state vector, |ψ>, a
unit-normalised vector in the state space.

The bra has two equivalent definitions, as (rather fearsome sounding)
linear functionals and as elements of a dual vector space.

Try googling some of the above (and below) key words for more info. Hope that helps :D

Linear, Hermitian and Unitary Operators
Closure Relation and matrix representation of operators
Projectors
Basis sets, norms and 'complete set of commuting operators' (CSCOs)

ian2012 said:
Do you know of a website or (intuitive) method i can use to learn the properties of bra-ket algebra? How did you learn it, for instance?
I learned some of it from Sakurai, but I didn't like his presentation, so I spent a lot of time thinking about it until I had figured it all out (and then checked with other sources so I knew that I was right). This is how I would have wanted it presented to me.

Hi,ian2012.
Uning identity relation I = Σn|n><n| where |n> are eigenketvectors of some Observable, A=IAI= Σn,m |n><n|A|m><m| = Σn,m |n> Anm <m|. It shows that something appears |><| is matrix or operator.
Regards.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of your posts. I have, since, extensively been reading about Dirac notation, dual space, projectors, etc.. but I still have one query regarding an operation with commutators.
How do you go from: <x'|x(hat)A(hat) - A(hat)x(hat)|x> to x'<x'|A(hat)|x> - <x'|A(hat)|x>x ?
(You may recognize the commutation relation [x(hat), A(hat)]).
From what I understand x(hat)|x> = x|x> and <x'|x(hat) = <x'|x' , which is halfway there. How do you multiply the rest of the equation?

Due to x(hat) and A(hat) being linear operators you can split
<x'|x(hat)A(hat) - A(hat)x(hat)|x> into <x'|x(hat)A(hat)|x> - <x'|A(hat)x(hat)|x>, then simply use the eigenfunction relations you stated, namely:
x(hat)|x> = x|x> and <x'|x(hat) = <x'|x' then you've done it. :D

What linearity condition do you use ?

DJsTeLF is right that you need to split the expression into those two parts before you use the eigenvalue equations, but it's not the linearity of the operators that allows you to do that, it's that the inner product is linear in the second variable.

Oh sorry, I understand what i did wrong.
Is it right to say: (A(hat) + B(hat)).|psi> = A(hat)|psi> + B(hat)|psi> ?
If so, then I believe that is the condition I was looking for... Well.. it has to be correct as it works for replacing the operator with real numbers.

Last edited:
Yeah, I should have mentioned that too. The first step is to do what you just did. That's just the definition of the sum of two operators. The second step is to use either that the inner product is linear in the second variable or that a bra is a linear functional.

Yeah, the property is overlooked on many sites I have been on. However, I looked in Dirac's Principles of QM and he explains it there, which is fantastic. But it's a quite basic property of linear operators you can infer from simple derivatives.

1. What is a bra-ket operation?

A bra-ket operation is a mathematical operation used in quantum mechanics to represent the inner product between two quantum states. It is denoted by the symbols ⟨ ⟩, with the bra representing the complex conjugate of a state and the ket representing the original state.

2. How do you multiply an equation by |psi1>?

To multiply an equation by |psi1>, you simply distribute the |psi1> term to each term in the equation. This is similar to multiplying two polynomials, where each term in one polynomial is multiplied by each term in the other polynomial.

3. What is the purpose of multiplying an equation by |psi1>?

Multiplying an equation by |psi1> allows us to calculate the inner product between two quantum states. This is useful in quantum mechanics for determining the probability of a measurement outcome or for finding the expectation value of an observable.

4. Can you use any state for |psi1>?

Yes, you can use any quantum state for |psi1>. However, the state |psi1> must be normalized, meaning that the inner product of |psi1> with itself must equal 1.

5. Are there any other operations similar to bra-ket operation?

Yes, there are several other operations used in quantum mechanics that are similar to bra-ket operation. These include the bra operation, which represents the complex conjugate of a state, and the ket operation, which represents the original state. There is also the inner product operation, which is used to calculate the overlap between two states, and the outer product operation, which is used to create composite states from simpler ones.