Someone good at math triangles and circles?

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with a math problem involving two runners, Sandy and Candy, on a circular track. The person is struggling with finding the distance between Sandy and Candy when they finish running, as there are multiple ways to interpret the word "distance" in this context. Suggestions are given on how to approach the problem, including using the runners' positions on the track and finding the straight line distance using their x and y coordinates. Additional questions and clarifications are asked, and the conversation ends with a summary of the solution to the problem.
Euphoriet
Sorry to bother you guys.. but if there is someone out there that is good at math and wouldn't mind helping me.. could you aim me sn:"euphoriet" thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It seems you could get substantial help right here.

I would rather talk on aim for this one... and mainly... i want to make a friend that is good at math ;) =-P

But here it is:

Starting at the same spot on a circular track that is 80 meters in diameter, Sandy and Candy
run in opposite directions, at 300 meters per minute and 240 meters per minute, respectively.
They run for 50 minutes. What distance separates Sandy and Candy when they finish? There is
more than one way to interpret the word distance in this question.

That last part has me... i know there are many ways.. but I have most trouble with the straight line distance one.

Last edited:
Divide each runner's total distance traveled by the radius of the track. This gives the angle (in radians) about the center of the circular track that each has traversed. Account for the fact they ran in opposite directions by making one positive and the other negative (i.e. one ran counterclockwise and the other clockwise).

If R is the radius of the track and they started, say, at x = R and y = 0 then Sandy's position would be [itex](R \cos \theta _s, R \sin \theta _s)[/itex] and Candy's would be [itex](R \cos \theta _C, R \sin \theta _C)[/itex].

To find the straight line distance find the difference between their x coordinates and the difference between their y coordinates (call them [itex]\Delta x[/itex] and [itex]\Delta y[/itex], for example. Their separation is then simply
[tex]d = \sqrt {{\Delta x}^2 + {\Delta y}^2}[/tex]

So far i have 59.52 for Sandy.. and 47.75 for Cyndy.. their distance in relation to circumference is like 11,77 right?... but .. i really don't know how to solve for their distance in a straight line.. and I am sure I got all this wrong... so yeah...

wait.. its actually .23 of the total track... 80xpi x 0.23 gives the circular distance... but I need the straight line still

Did u follow Tide's approach , he almost has the entire answer for u there...

Go along the steps Tide suggested and if any problem, post ur working herer so u can be better helped...

-- AI

i get 25.46m...could be wrong...this is how i did it though:

first you need to work out how where they are when they stop running

for sandy, 300 meters per minute for 50 minutes gives 150,000m as the total distance she's run

divide by 80 to get the number of laps she's run - you get 187.5 - so she's halfway around the track from where she started

now do the same for candy and you get 150 laps exactly - so she ends up back where she started from.

If you're following the circular path, then sandy and candy must be 40m away from each other.

but, i assume the "more than one way to interpret distance" thing means it wants the distance between the two as a straight line.

this distance will be the diameter since one is exactly halfway around the track from the other.

you know 80m is the circumference, and you know that the circumference of a circle is 2 X Pie X Raduis (call pie P and radius R for ease's sake)

80 = 2PR
R = 80/(2P)
= 12.73

diameter is 2 times R

D = 2 X 12.73
= 25.46

I would interpret "What distance separates Sandy and Candy when they finish? There is more than one way to interpret the word distance in this question." as meaning either that would accept either circular or straight distance or that they want both answers. I certainly wouldn't interpret "There is more than one way to interpret the word distance" as meaning they were insisting on specific one.

I could have sworn i wrote "aswell"

oh well...lol...

I know he gave me the path to the answer but I don't know what the s and the c in front of the cos and sin mean... I would solve it myself but I am having trouble wih that.. also what would I replace for the theta symbol... I have no other experience with this "variable"

S = Sandy
C = Candy

1. What is the difference between a triangle and a circle?

A triangle is a two-dimensional shape with three straight sides and three angles, while a circle is a two-dimensional shape with a curved boundary. Triangles are classified by their sides and angles, while circles are classified by their radius and diameter.

2. How can someone become good at solving math problems involving triangles and circles?

Practice and understanding of mathematical concepts are key to becoming good at solving math problems involving triangles and circles. It is important to have a strong foundation in geometry and trigonometry, as well as understanding the properties and formulas related to triangles and circles.

3. What are some real-life applications of triangles and circles?

Triangles and circles have many real-life applications in fields such as architecture, engineering, and physics. Triangles are used to determine the height and distance of buildings, while circles are used in designing curved structures such as bridges and roller coasters. Both shapes are also essential in calculating areas, volumes, and angles in various real-life scenarios.

4. How can someone check if their triangle or circle calculations are correct?

There are various methods to check the accuracy of triangle and circle calculations. These include using the Pythagorean theorem for right triangles, using the properties of similar triangles, and using the formula for the area of a circle. Additionally, double-checking calculations and using a calculator or computer program can also help ensure accuracy.

5. What are some common mistakes people make when solving math problems involving triangles and circles?

Some common mistakes people make when solving math problems involving triangles and circles include using the wrong formula, forgetting to convert units, and not considering all the given information. It is also important to be cautious of rounding errors and to check for any mistakes in calculations. Practicing regularly and paying attention to details can help avoid these mistakes.