What volume of this solution is required to make 1.25 L

• Thread starter fghtffyrdmns
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary, to make a 1.25 L solution of 2.75 mol/L H2SO4(aq), you need 0.217 L of a stock solution that is 85.0% H2SO4 by mass and has a density of 1.83 g/mL.
fghtffyrdmns

Homework Statement

An aqueous stock solution is 85.0% H2SO4 by mass and its density is 1.83 g/mL. What volume of this solution is required to make 1.25 L of 2.75 mol/L H2SO4(aq)? Give your answer in millilitres, accurate to three significant figures.

Homework Equations

[tex]c1v1=c2v2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was multiply 0.85 by the density, then to convert to liters, multiplied by 1000. To get the concentration, I just divided by the molar mass of H2SO4 (98.086).

Then I could solve for the volume by using the equation.

Physics news on Phys.org

Sounds reasonable.

Where is the base?

Borek said:
Sounds reasonable.

Where is the base?

That's what's confusing me. If I do this, I get the wrong answer.

Show numbers, hard to tell what you are doing not seeing details.

--

[tex] (0.85)(1.83 g/mL)(1000 mL/L)(1 mol/98.086 g) [/tex]

This gives you the concentration

Then you can simply find the volume with c1v1=c2v2.

That should give you correct molarity of the solution.

You have shown only part of the calculations, so no way anyone can tell you what and where went wrong. If you expect reasonable help, you have to give reasonable amount of information.

--

[tex] v1 = c2v2/c1

v1 = (1.25 L)(2.75 mol/L)/(15.8585 mol/L)
= 0.217 L. [/tex]

Looks OK to me. The only problem is that density of 85% sulfuric acid is not 1.83 g/mL, but if it was given to you you should use it.

You have earlier wrote that you are getting wrong answer, but I have no idea why do you think so - so I can't help further. Really, if you want to be helped, you need to be more elaborate.

--

1. What is the formula for calculating the volume of a solution?

The formula for calculating the volume of a solution is volume = mass ÷ density. This formula applies to both liquid and solid solutions.

2. How do you convert between units of volume?

To convert between units of volume, you can use conversion factors. For example, to convert from milliliters (mL) to liters (L), you would multiply the number of mL by 0.001. To convert from liters to milliliters, you would multiply by 1000.

3. Can the volume of a solution change when temperature changes?

Yes, the volume of a solution can change when temperature changes. This is due to the thermal expansion or contraction of the solution. As temperature increases, the volume of the solution also increases, and vice versa.

4. What is the difference between volume and concentration?

Volume refers to the amount of space that a substance takes up, while concentration refers to the amount of solute present in a given volume of solution. In other words, volume is a measure of quantity, while concentration is a measure of strength.

5. How can I accurately measure the volume of a solution?

To accurately measure the volume of a solution, you can use a graduated cylinder or a volumetric flask. These tools are specifically designed for measuring volumes of liquids and have markings that allow for precise measurements.