Photosensor Issue: Troubleshooting Strange Voltage Output with Green LED

• Thread starter Kipster1203
  • Start date
In summary, during testing of photosensors for a project, the individuals noticed that the voltage output would drop over time when a blue LED was shined, but would rise over time when a green LED was used. Despite the photosensor being most sensitive to green according to the spec sheet, they are unable to understand why the sensor would output a different voltage with the same light intensity input. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Kipster1203
So me and my partner got these photosensors as part of our project and were testing them today and got some weird results..

We started by shining a blue LED and the voltage output would drop over time.

we then hooked up the green LED and the voltage would rise over time...

From the spec sheet I know that the photosensor is most sensitive to green, but I can't figure out is why the sensor outputs a different voltage with the same light intensity input.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Kipster1203 said:
From the spec sheet I know that the photosensor is most sensitive to green, but I can't figure out is why the sensor outputs a different voltage with the same light intensity input.
That makes no sense that's what sensitivity means. Less sensitive means lower output for the same intensity input.

1. What is a photosensor and how does it work?

A photosensor is a device that detects and measures light. It works by converting light energy into electrical signals, which can then be interpreted by a circuit or device. This allows for automatic control of lighting, such as turning on or off streetlights based on the level of natural light.

2. What is a green LED and why is it used in photosensors?

A green LED is a type of light-emitting diode that emits green light when an electric current passes through it. It is used in photosensors because it is sensitive to a wide range of light wavelengths, making it suitable for detecting different levels of light. Additionally, green light is less likely to interfere with other light sources in the environment, ensuring more accurate readings.

3. What are some possible causes of strange voltage output in a photosensor with a green LED?

There are several potential causes for strange voltage output in a photosensor with a green LED. These include a faulty green LED, incorrect wiring or connections, interference from other light sources, or damage to the photosensor itself. It is important to troubleshoot and eliminate these potential issues to determine the exact cause of the problem.

4. How can I troubleshoot a photosensor issue with strange voltage output?

To troubleshoot a photosensor issue with strange voltage output, you can try the following steps:

• Check the connections and wiring to ensure they are correct and secure.
  • Replace the green LED with a new one to see if that resolves the issue.
  • Test the photosensor in different lighting conditions to determine if there is interference from other light sources.
  • If the above steps do not resolve the issue, the photosensor may be damaged and will need to be replaced.

5. Are there any maintenance or calibration procedures for photosensors with green LEDs?

Yes, it is important to regularly clean and maintain photosensors to ensure accurate readings. This includes removing any dirt, dust, or debris that may accumulate on the sensor surface. Additionally, some photosensors may require periodic calibration to adjust for changes in ambient light levels. Refer to the manufacturer's instructions for specific maintenance and calibration procedures for your photosensor.