Dark Matter Halo: Modeling Rotational Effect on Galaxy V(r)

In summary, the conversation discusses the modeling of rotation in galaxies and the potential impact of dark matter halos. The question of how to deal with the divergent integral of the mass density function is raised and it is noted that while the density diverges at 0 radius, the integral does not. It is also mentioned that the Milky Way Galaxy is dark matter-dominant, with dark matter making up a significant percentage of the matter within a given radius. However, within the half-light radius, baryonic matter is dominant. The conversation concludes with a clarification on the half-light radius of the Milky Way.
Creebe
Hello,

I'm a third year engineering physics student, and my team and I are trying to model how the rotation (V(r)) of a galaxy is affected by the possible existence of the dark matter halo. Here are my questions:

Regarding the dark matter halo:

The integral of the mass density function is divergent at 0, how do we deal with it? How does it make any physical sense.
Here's the formula:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navarro-Frenk-White_profile

Is the Milky Way Galaxy dark matter-dominant?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Creebe said:
The integral of the mass density function is divergent at 0, how do we deal with it? How does it make any physical sense.
While the density diverges at 0 radius, the integral of the density (which gives the mass within a given radius) does not (it goes to zero as one might expect).
Creebe said:
The wikipedia page you listed links to a http://iopscience.iop.org/0004-637X/573/2/597/pdf/0004-637X_573_2_597.pdf" that indicates (pg. 604, tables 1 and 2) that the ratio of the mass of dark matter to the mass of the disk and bulge of the galaxy within 3 kpc of the center is 0.95 according to the "favored" model without exchange of angular momentum (between normal matter and dark matter) and 0.24 according to the "favored" model with angular momentum exchange. So, while a significant percentage of the matter within that radius is dark matter, normal matter constitutes the majority of the matter (especially in the latter model, which I would think would be more realistic).

Last edited by a moderator:
Creebe said:
Overall: yes. If you look at the entire milky-way galaxy, DM has >5 times as much mass. Baryonic matter, however, is dominant within about the half-light radius (something like 100 kpc)

Allthough I agree that in the inner parts the Milky Way is baryon dominated. Nevertheless, the half light radius of the Milky Way is not even close to 100 kpc (that is almost the virial radius of ots host dark matter halo), but rather of the order of a few kpc.

harcel said:
Allthough I agree that in the inner parts the Milky Way is baryon dominated. Nevertheless, the half light radius of the Milky Way is not even close to 100 kpc (that is almost the virial radius of ots host dark matter halo), but rather of the order of a few kpc.
Sorry, yes---more like a few kpc---for sure!

1. What is dark matter halo and why is it important in understanding galaxy rotation?

Dark matter halo refers to the invisible mass surrounding a galaxy that is believed to play a crucial role in its rotation. It is important because it helps explain the discrepancy between the observed rotational speed of galaxies and the predicted speed based on the visible matter alone.

2. How is dark matter halo modeled and what factors are considered?

Dark matter halo is typically modeled using computer simulations that take into account various factors such as the distribution of dark matter, the gravitational pull of the galaxy's visible matter, and the effects of other galaxies in the vicinity.

3. How does dark matter halo affect the rotation curve of a galaxy?

The presence of dark matter halo causes the rotational speed of a galaxy to remain constant at larger distances from the galactic center, whereas the rotational speed would decrease if only the visible matter was accounted for. This results in a flattened rotation curve.

4. Can dark matter halo also explain the observed gravitational lensing effect?

Yes, dark matter halo can also explain the gravitational lensing effect, where the mass of a galaxy bends the path of light from objects behind it. The distribution of dark matter in the halo can cause this bending of light, leading to the observed lensing effect.

5. Are there any alternative theories to dark matter halo that can explain galaxy rotation?

There are some alternative theories, such as modified Newtonian dynamics (MOND), that attempt to explain the observed galaxy rotation without the need for dark matter halo. However, these theories have not been widely accepted and do not fully explain all the observed phenomenon related to galaxy rotation.