Need help/advise with building an electromagnet

In summary, the conversation is about building an electromagnet and the person is seeking assistance due to their lack of expertise in electrical engineering. They are looking to make a safe and economical electromagnet with specific dimensions and adjustable work load. They also have questions about how to attach the electromagnet to a housing, the energy source to use, and how to regulate the current. The recommendation is to use a 9V battery and to avoid using an AC mains supply. The person also mentions finding additional resources on Google and YouTube for DIY electromagnets.
lilparadise
Hello. I'm looking for some assistance with building an electromagnet. Was going to just build it, but want to be on a safe side =)... Due to my chronic Lyme Dis. did forget somethings, and being a son of electrician doesn't really qualify me as an electric engineer. Have googled but came up empty.

I would like an EM made out of iron rod approx 1" - 2" in diameter, about 6"-7" long. with adj work load, starting with 1lbs and up. of course for it to be safe and economical, and i hope nothing fancy.

I'm planning to build a wooden housing for it, or fiberglass. so one of the questions would be of how to attach EM to housing, is it ok for a rod to have hole and just bolt it, or clamp it.. will it interfere with em field, making it less productive.

what should be used for energy source?

what would be best to regulate e current?

and I am sure more questions might arise. but any way thanks to anyone who would reply. cheers! K.

Engineering news on Phys.org

What materials do I need to build an electromagnet?

To build an electromagnet, you will need a power source (such as a battery), insulated copper wire, a nail or iron core, and small metal objects such as paperclips or staples.

How do I choose the right power source for my electromagnet?

The power source you choose will depend on the strength of the electromagnet you want to build. A larger battery or power source will produce a stronger magnetic field. Make sure to use a power source that can handle the amount of current needed for your wire and core.

What is the best way to wrap the wire around the iron core?

The best way to wrap the wire is to tightly coil it around the iron core, making sure there are no gaps or spaces in between the loops. The more times you wrap the wire, the stronger the magnetic field will be.

How do I test the strength of my electromagnet?

You can test the strength of your electromagnet by placing small metal objects, such as paperclips, near the iron core. If the electromagnet is strong enough, the metal objects will be attracted to it and stick to the core.

What are some safety precautions I should take when building an electromagnet?

When building an electromagnet, it is important to be cautious when working with electricity. Make sure to use insulated wire and handle the power source carefully. Avoid touching the wire or core when the power is on, and always turn off the power source when not in use.

Back