Short Menstruation: Effects on Fertility

• Medical
  • Thread starter lavender24
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Short
In summary, the individual has had their period for 3-5 days every month and has not been on any hormonal birth control for almost 3 years. They have previously used the pill and Nuva Ring, and have also used the withdrawal method for almost a year. They have never used a pregnancy test and are now 25 years old. They are wondering if the length of their period affects their fertility and are advised to consult a doctor as withdrawal is not a reliable form of contraception. According to Wiki, a period lasting 3-5 days is average and falls within the normal range.
lavender24
I only have my period for 3-5 days every month, and I haven't been on any hormonal birth control for almost 3 years. I had been on the pill for a few months (in the past), and the Nuva Ring for about a year (the last BC I used). I have also spent nearly a year using the pull-out method. (I know it's totally ridiculous, not looking for judgement.) I have never used a pregnancy test, never had a reason to. I am 25 now, does the length of my period affect my fertility at all??

Biology news on Phys.org
You should go and see your doctor, we do not provide medical diagnosis here

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=173247

And by the way it's good that you realize that withdrawal is not a valid contraception. However small the risk there is still a chance you could get pregnant from it, it is best to be responsible.

Last edited:
3 -- 5 days is not a "short" period. It's actually bang-on average.

I know that Wiki isn't the most reliable information site for the requirements of this site, but it's as reliable as any info link found on a quick Google search. 3 --5 day is average -- 2 -- 7 days is still well within "normal" ranges.

I'm not sure what you concern is. And ditto what ryan said.

What is considered a "short" menstruation?

A "short" menstruation is typically defined as a menstrual cycle that lasts less than 21 days. This can vary slightly from person to person, but generally a normal menstrual cycle lasts between 21-35 days.

What are some potential causes of short menstruation?

There can be several potential causes of short menstruation, including hormonal imbalances, stress, excessive exercise, and certain medical conditions such as polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) or thyroid disorders.

How does short menstruation affect fertility?

Short menstruation can affect fertility by disrupting the normal hormonal balance in the body, making it more difficult for the ovaries to release an egg and for the uterus to prepare for pregnancy. It can also indicate potential underlying health issues that may impact fertility.

Can short menstruation be treated?

Yes, depending on the cause, short menstruation can often be treated. This may involve addressing any underlying health issues, making lifestyle changes to reduce stress or excessive exercise, or taking hormonal medications to regulate the menstrual cycle.

Is short menstruation always a cause for concern?

Not necessarily. Some women may naturally have shorter menstrual cycles without any underlying health issues or impact on fertility. However, it is always best to consult with a healthcare provider if you have concerns about your menstrual cycle or fertility.