Math Books for High School Grad: Suggestions Welcome

• Thread starter NADH
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, the speaker is looking for book suggestions on math, specifically mentioning their enjoyment of calculus and vectors in high school. They are open to various fields of math and mention not having taken university courses yet. Some book suggestions include "A book of abstract algebra" by Pinter, "A History of Mathematics" by Carl B. Boyer, and "The Poincare Conjecture" by Donal O'Shea. The speaker also mentions their interest in more generally applicable and philosophical concepts in math, and asks for further suggestions, including "Euclid's Window."
NADH
Now that it's summer I have been doing a lot of reading, I am looking for a few books on math. I just finished high school and took calculus and vectors and enjoyed it. I don't really know what exact field of math book I want to get so I was just looking for some suggestions on any fields you have read from and enjoyed, the only thing is I haven't taken any university courses yet so they can't be to advanced.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Graph Theory

"a book of abstract algebra" by Pinter. Very easy, very enjoyable book!

"A History of Mathematics" by Carl B. Boyer. I think you can probably still find it at local book stores in the science sections unless something else has replaced it now. It's a large book not the type I would advise trying to read fully in one setting but more for skimming every now and again.

I really enjoyed The Poincare Conjecture by Donal O'Shea.

(https://www.amazon.com/dp/080271532X/?tag=pfamazon01-20)

It does a good job in my opinion of presenting topology as a fascinating subject as well as discussing the proof of the Poincare conjecture and the backgrounds of some relevant historical mathematicians. Of course if you're looking for something less literary and more problem orientated maybe Hardy's "A Course on Pure Mathematics"? Personally my interest in mathematics is limited to the more generally applicable and philosophical concepts but I do recall reading another enjoyable book on the Reimann hypothesis recently though I can remember its name.

Thanks for the suggestions, is the book Euclid's Window a good read by chance?
I would love to hear some more suggestions as well.

What are some popular math books for high school graduates?

Some popular math books for high school graduates include "A Mind for Numbers" by Barbara Oakley, "The Joy of x" by Steven Strogatz, "How Not to Be Wrong" by Jordan Ellenberg, "The Number Devil" by Hans Magnus Enzensberger, and "The Physics of Everyday Things" by James Kakalios.

What types of math are typically covered in these books?

These books cover a range of math topics, including algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and physics. They also often include real-world applications and examples to make the concepts more relatable.

Are these books suitable for self-study or are they intended for classroom use?

Many of these books are suitable for self-study, but they can also be used in a classroom setting. They are written in a way that is accessible to readers of various math backgrounds and can be used as supplemental material or as a main resource for learning.

What makes these books stand out from traditional math textbooks?

These books often present math concepts in a more engaging and narrative-based way, making them more interesting and easier to understand. They also often include real-world examples and applications, making the material more relevant to everyday life.

Do these books require any prior knowledge of math?

While some of these books may assume a basic understanding of math concepts, many of them are written in a way that is accessible to readers with little to no prior knowledge of math. They often include explanations and examples to help readers understand the material.