DCM & CCM DC-DC flyback converter help please

• Thread starter aabrahim
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Converter
In summary, a DC to DC flyback converter is a device that allows an AC input to be converted to a DC output. These converters are often used in applications that require a DC output, such as motor control or data conversion. They are also used in applications that require both an AC and DC input, such as a power supply that can supply both AC and DC power. The converter can be controlled using a control voltage, which can be used to adjust the output voltage or to turn the converter off.
aabrahim
Hi everyone,

I need your help in designing and controlling a DC to DC flyback converter that operate in both CCM & DCM. where to start? and what is special about these kind of converters? and will i find a ready-made transformer for such a converter? how to choose the right MOSFET? what parameters will play the role of deciding the operation mode?
can you suggest a reference-design or a datasheet so i can start the job.

many thanks in advance

Regards

Engineering news on Phys.org
aabrahim said:
Hi everyone,

I need your help in designing and controlling a DC to DC flyback converter that operate in both CCM & DCM. where to start? and what is special about these kind of converters? and will i find a ready-made transformer for such a converter? how to choose the right MOSFET? what parameters will play the role of deciding the operation mode?
can you suggest a reference-design or a datasheet so i can start the job.

many thanks in advance

Regards

Welcome to the PF.

What is the context of your question? Is this for schoolwork?

What research have you done so far? Have you looked at the National Semiconductor Simple Switcher series? I don't know offhand if they support the flyback topology, but you can learn a lot from the Simple Switcher series of parts & support docs.

a google on those terms takes one to Fairchild appnotes that appear very detailed.

a few years ago i thought i was going to get into such a project and did some looking. At that time Coilcraft had interactive design aids that looked extremely easy to use, which was what i needed.

I also echo Berkeman's sentiment about National's simple switchers..
they have excellent application notes.
i started with AN556, AN711 and AN1253
though they might be too basic for you..

I know Power Integrations supports flyback designs.
http://www.powerint.com/
They sell evaluation kits and have links to purchase the transformers used in many of their designs.

To do this right you need good references. I highly reccomend "Switch-mode power supplies" by Basso. He is gifted at explaining how these things work and how they should be designed in the real world.

What is a DCM & CCM DC-DC flyback converter?

A DCM (Discontinuous Conduction Mode) & CCM (Continuous Conduction Mode) DC-DC flyback converter is a type of power electronic circuit used to convert a DC input voltage to a different DC output voltage. It uses a transformer, coupled with a switch and diode, to transfer energy from the input to the output. The converter can operate in either DCM or CCM depending on the load conditions.

How does a DCM & CCM DC-DC flyback converter work?

The converter works by first charging the transformer's primary winding when the switch is turned on. When the switch is turned off, the energy stored in the transformer is transferred to the secondary winding, resulting in the output voltage. In DCM, the switch is turned off before the current in the transformer reaches zero, while in CCM, the switch is turned off after the current reaches zero.

What are the advantages of using a DCM & CCM DC-DC flyback converter?

Some advantages of using this type of converter include high efficiency, simplicity of design, and the ability to step up or step down the input voltage. It also has a galvanic isolation between the input and output, making it suitable for applications that require isolation, such as in power supplies for sensitive electronics.

What are the limitations of a DCM & CCM DC-DC flyback converter?

One limitation is that it is not suitable for high power applications due to the limited current handling capability of the switch. It also has a limited input voltage range and is sensitive to changes in load conditions. In addition, the transformer design can be complex and may require careful consideration of leakage inductance and parasitic capacitances.

What are some common applications of DCM & CCM DC-DC flyback converters?

DCM & CCM DC-DC flyback converters are commonly used in low power applications, such as in consumer electronics, battery chargers, and LED lighting. They can also be found in industrial and automotive applications, where isolation and high efficiency are important.