Optimizing Hydraulic Flow Rates and Motor Sizes for a DIY Stone Saw

• Thread starter Whitewolf4869
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hydraulic
In summary: So in summary, you need to know the saw blade speed, RPMs, and the diesel engine speed, RPMe. You need to select a pump and motor with displacements per revolution of Vp and Vm. Aim for RPMe / RPMs = Vm / Vp. That is the effective gear ratio of the hydraulic drive. You need to figure out the flow rate, pump and motor sizes, and basic saw design. You may need to provide an oil cooler or radiator to dissipate the heat generated by the diesel engine.
Whitewolf4869
Im planning to build a stone saw with a 36 inch blade and plan to use a hydraulic pump and motor to power the saw blade The hydraulic pump will be driven by a 50 hp diesel motor Now the hard part i need to figure out flow rates pump and motor sizes and basic saw design
i have been looking on the internet for years and hevent found much until i stumbled on this forum there seems to be a lot of down to Earth people here with good info and just a few that say why do you want to do this? and you can't do that lol . I have built a 12 kw generator from parts i had collected and wasted a lot of money and time trying to go direct drive before i figured out that belt drive was absolutely the best way to go
So is there anyone out there whit any suggestions?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sorry about the delay...
Firstly; you need to know the saw blade speed, RPMs, and the diesel engine speed, RPMe.
Secondly; select a pump and motor with displacements per revolution of Vp and Vm.
Aim for RPMe / RPMs = Vm / Vp. That is the effective gear ratio of the hydraulic drive.

Now come at the problem from the other direction...
The diesel is 50HP = 37 kW. I guess the operating hydraulic pressure will be agricultural, say 2,200 psi, = 15.17 MPa.
Power = flow * pressure; Flow = power / pressure; So flow rate will be 37 kW / 15.17 MPa = 0.00244 m3 per second = 2.44 litre per second.

The motor is turning at say 1200 RPM so it will do 20 revs per second. The required pump displacement will therefor be 2.44 litre / 20 = 122 cc per rev. Now you can do the same computation for the hydraulic saw motor displacement.

Select the hoses and port diameters based on a flow rate of 2.44 litre per second * 60 sec/min = 146.4 litres per minute. Find a hydraulic “Hose size selection nomogram”. I looked one up earlier … the pressure hose will need to be 1”, the return line will be 1.5”. You might get away with 3/4” and 1” lines if you avoid continuous maximum power.

Assume 20% of your diesel HP will go to generating heat in the hydraulic oil. You must provide an oil cooler / radiator capable of dissipating that heat. You may need to arrange forced air cooling, or a large surface area reservoir tank.

1. What is a hydraulic powered stone saw?

A hydraulic powered stone saw is a cutting tool that uses hydraulic power to operate. It is specifically designed to cut through stone materials, such as marble, granite, and other hard surfaces.

2. How does a hydraulic powered stone saw work?

A hydraulic powered stone saw works by using hydraulic fluid to power the motor, which in turn rotates the saw blade. The saw blade is then able to cut through stone materials with precision and speed.

3. What are the benefits of using a hydraulic powered stone saw?

There are several benefits to using a hydraulic powered stone saw. These include increased cutting power, improved efficiency and speed, and reduced operator fatigue. Additionally, the saw is able to make precise cuts without damaging the stone material.

4. What types of stone can be cut with a hydraulic powered stone saw?

A hydraulic powered stone saw is capable of cutting through a variety of stone materials, including marble, granite, limestone, sandstone, and more. It can also be used to cut through other hard materials such as concrete and brick.

5. Is a hydraulic powered stone saw safe to use?

Yes, a hydraulic powered stone saw is considered safe to use when operated properly. It is important to follow all safety precautions and instructions provided by the manufacturer. Additionally, proper training and experience are necessary for safe and effective use of the saw.