Can You Hang a Table Level Using Ropes at Each Corner?

• Thread starter Yehow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Surface
In summary, the conversation discusses a method for hanging and leveling a tabletop using ropes and concrete, but there are potential issues with this method such as uneven weight distribution and the possibility of the ropes stretching. Using a level and shims or temporary legs may be a more practical solution.
Yehow
If I have a tabletop, and I can hang it from above with rope, is there a way I could hang it so that it would be necessarily level? It has legs attached and the mass is not necessarily distributed evenly relative to the flat surface of the table.

I imagine this is probably not the best way to make a level table, but I was just thinking about it and wondering if this would work. To actually finish the table I would have the table hanging such that each leg was in a bucket (but not touching the bottom so the table is still hanging free), and once I had it hanging correctly I would poor concrete in each bucket.

My thought was to attach four equal lengths of rope, one to each corner, and then connect them together to a central rope.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Trying to hang it would be a bad idea. It's too prone to shifting, especially over the time it takes for concrete to dry.

Why wouldn't you support it with temporary legs from below?

With the table made level by the 'hanging rope method' and the legs in the bucket into which concrete would be poured and let to set for an amount of time, after which the ropes are removed, and the table should now still be level, is a misconception as one has to assume that each leg will now bear one fourth of the table weight, again from another assumption that the table weight is evenly distributed, and that the compression of each leg is also proportional to one fourth od the table weight, again from an assumption that each leg is completely similar to all the other three.

In addition, there will be an air space under leg between the bottom of the leg and the concrete and one has no way of knowing how large this air space will be or if the air space has been completely eliminated with agitation of the concerete before it has set, with the ensuing result that some legs may rest on more or less concrete whose compression from the table leg can thus not be determined beforehand.

I would conclude that this method would result in a table that is nearly level, with no method of determining how near to level the table would be.

256bits said:
...again from another assumption that the table weight is evenly distributed, and that the compression of each leg is also proportional to one fourth od the table weight, again from an assumption that each leg is completely similar to all the other three.
I don't follow how the weight of the table or distribution or size of each leg would affect this. If he manages to level the tabletop, and sets the concrete. What's the problem?

256bits said:
I would conclude that this method would result in a table that is nearly level, with no method of determining how near to level the table would be.
You'd use a level on the table top.

Rope stretches.

Use a machinist's level and shims.

DaveC426913 said:
I don't follow how the weight of the table or distribution or size of each leg would affect this. If he manages to level the tabletop, and sets the concrete. What's the problem?

Simple stress strain of materials.
Once the ropes are removed, the legs are now bearing the weight of the table where they had not before. As I had said, the table will in the end should be nearly level, and probabably level enough for most purposes.

My main question is if it would be possible to go about leveling the surface in the first place. Would my described method work, with a rope attached to each corner attached to a central rope?

I'm okay with assuming the rope doesn't stretch.

Yehow said:
My main question is if it would be possible to go about leveling the surface in the first place. Would my described method work, with a rope attached to each corner attached to a central rope?

I'm okay with assuming the rope doesn't stretch.

It would be possible, yes. But a better question is: would it be practical.

1. How do I determine if a surface is level?

The most accurate way to determine if a surface is level is by using a level tool. This can be a traditional bubble level or a digital level. Place the level on the surface and adjust it until the bubble is centered or the digital reading is at 0 degrees. This indicates that the surface is level.

2. What are the consequences of hanging something on an uneven surface?

If something is hung on an uneven surface, it can cause the object to be crooked or tilted. This not only affects the aesthetics of the room, but it can also cause the object to become unstable and potentially fall. Additionally, hanging something on an uneven surface can cause unnecessary strain on the object, potentially leading to damage or breakage.

3. How can I level a hanging surface without a level tool?

If you do not have a level tool, there are alternative methods you can use to determine if a surface is level. One method is to use a straight object, such as a ruler or a book, and place it on the surface. If the object sits evenly without any gaps, the surface is likely level. Another method is to measure the distance between the surface and the object being hung at multiple points. If the measurements are consistent, the surface is most likely level.

4. What are some common reasons for a surface to be uneven?

There are several reasons why a surface may be uneven. One common reason is that the surface was not properly installed or built to be level. Another reason could be that the wall or floor beneath the surface is not level. It is also possible that the surface has shifted or warped over time due to changes in temperature or moisture. Additionally, the weight of objects on the surface can cause it to become uneven.

5. How can I fix an uneven surface?

The method for fixing an uneven surface will depend on the cause of the unevenness. If the surface was not properly installed or built, it may need to be reinstalled or adjusted. If the underlying wall or floor is not level, it may be necessary to use shims or other leveling materials to create a level surface. In some cases, it may be necessary to hire a professional to assess and fix the uneven surface.